Foliage Help

Hello friends on the internet! I am currently working on a project and am at a point in time where I would like to have some cool looking grass. I do not have access to 3ds studio, Maya, or any of that fancy stuff, just Blender. I am familiar with blender most. Anyways, could someone help me understand how to make good grass?

Here is what I have tried:

• Making planes in blender
  • UV wrapping them to have my grass texture
  • Exporting them into UE4
  • The planes that blender exported are only one sided.

I have ticked double sided in blender and this still occurs.

What I mean by double sided is that I can see the default UE4 mesh when I load it up in the editor, but when I look at the back of the mesh, it is transparent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time in advance

~

Hello XenGames.

To make the mesh double sided you need to put an material on the mesh and in the material properties you have an option two sided that you need to turn on.

Like StefanCG said, you can tick the double sided check mark on the material to allow that material to render on both sides.

Some other things you might want to consider while making grass is things like disabling tangent space normal’s in the material and making sure your vertex normal’s are correct. If you don’t do these things correctly you can sometimes get some pretty bad visuals that result in grass that is very light on one side and very dark on the other.