Foliage Disappears when rendering

Hi,

I am new user of Unreal Engine 5. I am going to render a movie for the architecture project with UE5 for the first time.

Foliage is very important for the visualization so I tested but I can see when the camera moves far from the trees the shadows and leaves disappear which makes UE5 useless for Architectural rendering.

As I told you I an new user so I have no knowledge. I searched the Youtube and tried everything I can do but nothing worked. I adjusted LOD, Culling setting, tried some command like

r.Raytracing.Geometry.InstancedStaticMeshes.Culling 0
r.ScreenPercentage 200
r.forceLOD 0
foliage.forceLOD 0

But nothing worked. I also tried movie qeue render but all the same.
ezgif.com-gif-maker

What I want is very simple. All the trees should look the same no matter how far the camera is. All the trees should show the leaves, shadows even from very very far distance.

Is there a way to do this? Again all the trees should show the leaves, shadows, and everything.
If there is any expert of UE5 please help me! Thanks,

Hi, did you find a solution to this? I’ve had the same problem.

There are a few places where you have to look.

• The meshes themselves. They have LODs, simplified versions that are used when the camera is further away. You can change the distances for when the LODs are used or disable them altogether. It’s percentage of the Screen Size in each LOD. The larger the value the earlier the LOD will change/disappear.
  • The Opacity Mask Clip Value (or similar named) that you can change if the leaves disappear over distance. It’s in the material of the leaves. 1.0 is super precise.
  • The foliage tool has it’s own culling settings. You may want to change them too. They are min/max values. In the transition phase both models are loaded and blending.
  • Your level may have a Cull Distance volume. If you don’t know what that is then you most likely don’t have one.

From all those settings the most aggressive value will be used. If you set your LODs in the mesh generous but the Cull Distance of the foliage is aggressive than the foliage setting will be applied.

And as always: every change might hurt performance more or less.

2 Likes

Thanks S-Dot, I will look in these places for my problem.

same issue but a bit more extreme. they disapear relatively close to camera and disappear at frame 40 but only on render. i tried to do a re render, the rocks werent there at the beginning but appeared forty frames in?!

1 Like

Thanks. To complete the list, I found also:

culling of instanced mesh, put in console r.RayTracing.Geometry.InstancedStaticMeshes.Culling 0

screenPercentage r.ScreenPercentage 100 (or higher value)

Also try:
r.ForceLOD 0
foliage.ForceLOD 4 (or 0)
foliage.MaxTrianglesToRender
r.Nanite.MaxPixelsPerEdge

4 Likes

Thanks Clao80

foliage.ForceLOD 0 worked like a charm

This fixed a very similar issue for me with disappearing foliage:
foliage.MaxTrianglesToRender

Thanks!!

Same issue here. It must have something to do with… whatever settings :smiley: I’m on the 5.3 version. Have you figured it out?

Found the solution. It can be fixed in the ‘Movie Render Queue’ >> ‘Settings’ section, by disabling ‘Use LODZero’