Foliage disappear

Hi Mates.
When I moved camera my foliage disappearing with a “blur”?
Cull distance is 0, 0, also I have made a basic material for foliage.
Foliage do not have any LOD.

Any advice would be helpful

Here is a screenshots:

I too am having an issue with disappearing foliage. Its as if its being culled but the shadows seem present still. See the ground in the distance of the below image.

I tried watching William Fauchey’s bug fixes video here Troubleshooting FOLIAGE issues in Unreal Engine - YouTube and researching online which both recommended setting foliage.forceLOD 0. When I tried this all my foliage disappeared completely. I reset this by turning it to -1. I can’t see any issues with the LOD’s and these are megascan assets.

I painted the foliage onto the landscape and the culling max and min is set to 0. I found the following command r.RayTracing.Geometry.InstancedStaticMeshes.Culling 0 helped with some of the issues but Im still seeing it on the grass.

I think it has something to do with raytracing but does anyone have any idea what may be happening here and how to fix it? I’ve scoured the internet to no avail at this point :sob:

Perhaps Instance Fading is causing this. Does it still happen if your foliage instances are nanite enabled? Instance Fading info from the docs below.

Culling Settings

Foliage instances are rendered as clusters in a single draw call and each cluster is either rendered or not rendered based on occlusion. Setting a value in the End Cull Distance parameter in the foliage details causes the clusters to be culled beyond that distance. However, this will cause groups of meshes to disappear abruptly as the entire cluster goes out of range.

This can be reduced by adding a Start Cull Distance parameter and then setting up the Material appropriately. In the vertex shader, a per-instance fading factor is calculated, which goes from 1.0 at the start distance to 0.0 at the end distance.

Source: Foliage Mode in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation

Thank you for the response and useful info.

I’ve had a study of the link you sent, super interesting to see. I tried enabling Nanite as this wasn’t enabled and this has had no change sadly. I tried adjusting cull settings but this also had no effect however this was only called Cull Distance. I couldn’t find a specific Start Cull Distance or End Cull Distance parameter inside the actual asset details so I wonder if this has been changed recently?

I tried setting up the PerInstanceFadeAmount node but again no luck with that.

I feel like it is definitely a culling issue as the instanced foliage does appear to fade in and out. I even tried using a Cull Distance Volume actor just in case but this had no effect either.

I’ve run out of ideas and after playing around with it for days I may have to accept defeat on this one. If there are any other ideas to look into Im happy to explore them. Its more principle and pride than anything at this point.