Flipbook / playing an animation (texture)

That works now. Two issues remaining:

1. The second spritesheet does not trigger (i assume I have something messed up with the animation phase
  2. How do I actually get the two IFs into the Emissive channel, another IF?

Here’s the network so far:

http://www.team-imx.com/images/UE4/flipbook_3.jpg

A couple things.

For the first IF statement, the B input should be constant 1.0. right now its the same as A, which means they are always equal.

For the second IF statement, B should be constant 2.0.

In the first IF statement, replace A>B and A=B with the second IF statement output. That’s my bad, I forgot to tell you how to nest those in my last reply.

And for Both IF statements, we need to do something slightly different for the A input. What I suggested of multiplying by 3 was close, but limits the range of each flipbook from 0 to 0.33 instead of 1.

Take time, divide by 3, take frac, and then multiply by 3. That should give you a number that repeats from 0 to 3 alongside the frac repeating 0-1. Then use that for Both IF statement A’s.

Don’t worry, If statements are notoriously tricky to figure out in materials :slight_smile: After you get this working you just have to change the “3” to be the number of flipbooks. Then add another IF statement, and the B should just be the previous IF statement’s B + 1, (ie, the next would be 3, then 4, then 5).

Yeay - you nailed it!

This way it works now:

http://www.team-imx.com/images/UE4/flipbook_4.jpg

Now I need a beer…(And I owe you one Ryan :wink:

Sweeet!! I’m glad it works…I’m assuming you just didn’t show the animation phase hooked up. The phase should just be frac of time in this case, same for all 3 flipbooks.

Well, to be honest, it works right off the bat, without them being connected at all…

oh hahaha, I just checked and inside the function, the default input IS set to frac of time. So even if you don’t plug in anything, it will use that. But if you change the speed of time, you will need to update them all.

Thought so. Hooking the frac node up didn’t change anything :wink:

would it be possible to make a that can play videos as textures…? someone made one for the cryengine and the source is in , maybe a programmer can look at it to see if it is even possible to do im ue4?

No need for a . It already exists! Its a placeable actor called scene capture. I believe one is called Scene Capture 2D and the other is called Scene Capture Cube. Look under all all classes!

I think catalejo meant play imported videos on textures in materials. We have a feature request to do that but it is not scheduled yet so it is at least a few months out. There is apparently a way to play startup movies although I am told most of the functionality is hidden and requires a programmer to use.

What is talking about would work well for ingame security camera monitor footage etc.

Flipbook is a disappointing solution for video to texture. Dont want to blow the Unity trumpet but they have had Video to texture capability for ages, 2007 documentation. docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/VideoFiles

Hopefully Marketplace gets going soon where Devs can share and make some $ selling these kinds on plugins.

That functionality is high on my “wanted” list. I got the flipbooks working (see above) but its a bit of a pain if you have more than a few frames to run. Perhaps we can vote the feature up the list? :wink:

Yes video textures/materials! Where do i vote?

Not sure if I missed it but does anyone have a link to the Glue It program? Tried googling multiple things but nothing showed up.

you can download it here: http://www.varcade.com/blog/glueit-sprite-sheet-maker-download/

Hi all, on texture packer is best this app TexturePacker - Create Sprite Sheets for your game!. App is win, linux, osx.
I solved the flipbook that I could control the speed of the animation and also something to me was a year full of animation and not just cast, I finally chose this solution, maybe someone napdne even better.

70d79e442a5599d6ec284463ec0bcd47cc9453d2.jpeg

Would this work for 5 Textures? Would you just add more If statements?

EDIT: The answer is yes:

EDIT EDIT: Here’s a video of the loop for anyone interested:

Ditto!

Ditto to this!

I can’t believe you can’t just use an mp4 or something as the texture? Like one would in modeling software? I’m finding it hard to believe that ue4 can deliver such amazing visuals, but can’t map a video as a texture? Huh?

I think they have it on the “ToDo” list, just not in the top 10 as it seems…

And I agree: I would definitely like that feature as I use it quite a lot.