Flickering bright spots on textures in-editor

Cups (1)

There are quite a few textures in my level with this odd flickering light on them. It is mostly reflective objects, but I’ve seen it on the white walls too. I am going through all lighting, texture, and post processing settings to switch settings on and off, and nothing has removed these flickers in-editor. There are no moving lights in the scene. The flickering seems to exist in all scalability settings too. Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of this?

Flickering bright spots on textures in UE5 editor can be caused by a variety of factors, including lighting, post-processing, or even GPU-related issues. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:

1. Check your level for any moving lights or other dynamic lighting sources, as these can cause flickering issues on certain surfaces. Make sure to properly set up your lighting and ensure that your lightmaps are correctly generated.
  2. Check your post-processing settings. Sometimes, over-brightening or other post-processing effects can cause flickering or other visual artifacts. Try disabling post-processing entirely and see if the issue goes away.
  3. Check your texture settings. Make sure that your textures are set up correctly, with proper mipmapping and compression settings. You may also want to try adjusting your texture streaming settings.
  4. Update your GPU drivers. Outdated drivers can cause a variety of issues in UE5, including flickering or other visual artifacts. Make sure to keep your drivers up to date.
  5. Try reducing the overall complexity of your scene. Flickering issues can sometimes be caused by performance issues, so try reducing the number of objects in your scene or adjusting your LOD settings.
  6. If none of these steps work, you may want to try reaching out to the UE5 community forums or support channels for further assistance.
  7. Check if there are any overlapping surfaces or meshes in your scene. Overlapping meshes can cause z-fighting, which can result in flickering or other visual artifacts. You can use the ‘Show Collision’ feature in UE5 to identify any overlapping meshes and make adjustments as necessary.
  8. Try adjusting your anti-aliasing settings. Sometimes, certain anti-aliasing methods can cause flickering or other visual issues. Experiment with different anti-aliasing methods or adjust the settings to see if this resolves the issue.
  9. Consider disabling certain visual effects or features in your scene to see if they are causing the flickering. For example, disabling reflections or ambient occlusion may help to pinpoint the issue.
  10. Finally, if all else fails, you may want to consider resetting your UE5 project settings to their defaults. This can help to identify any configuration issues that may be causing the flickering. However, be aware that resetting your project settings will revert any custom settings you have made, so be sure to make a backup of your project before doing so.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue of flickering bright spots on textures in your UE5 editor.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that’s just Lumen

1 Like

I tried a whole bunch of things, but this was the only one which worked:

I changed the Lumen Scene Lighting Quality in the Post Process Volume from 1.0 to 6.0 and the flickering went away.

1 Like

thanks for this info! i was trying to look around for this answer for a while as im working on a game where the main focus is the lighting, so i want to make it look as good as it can

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.