Download

Fire Breathing/Flame thrower Feedback

Hello,

Doing some work recently on flamethrower effect for a client. This is progress made over the course of two days. I completely changed my approach in the latter half of the second day and I think the results were improved considerably. This is what I have now and I am quite pleased with it, but I think the effect would benefit from some feedback if there are any kind-hearted fx artists out there willing to give me some advice.

Not much of an artist, but I think I can help you a bit.

What screen alignment are you using? It looks strange in your last image.

Your colors look a bit off, the fire looks too red at the end. Fire colors are easy with a BlackBody node. Use a Color Over Life or Dynamic module to set a temperature, and feed Particle Color or Dynamic Parameter into a BlackBody node in your material, multiply with a monochrome flame texture and feed into emissive.

I made this modifying the blackbody particle system in Content Examples/Effects. The initial particle is like a liquid, it carries momentum, falls due to gravity, and doesn’t grow or spread much. Dying spawns a more flame-like particle with Event Generator and Event Receiver modules. It inherits velocity but has high drag. It grows, spreads and cools rapidly, and accelerates upward. A collision event spawns a similar particle that starts hotter, grows, spreads and rises faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-bZLFiamfY

Thanks for the feedback, that effect looks great and the ideas behind how it works seem really sensible and interesting.

I’m not using screen alignment at all, it’s a static-mesh emitter, which emits a deformed sphere which increases in scale over life. The smaller sphere looks more jagged as the scale of the deformation remains the same.

I am currently using the Blackbody node in the way you described, I think that perhaps because I recorded the effect on a black background the smoke got lost a bit.

Currently I have my particles set with a constant acceleration in the negative z-axis, to emulate the liquid effect you describe, and I have an acceleration over life module which gradually increases until it overpowers the constant negative acceleration until it rises as smoke. The ideas of spawning a particle on death and collision are really insightful.

Thanks for sharing! :smiley: