Final School Project - horror hospital

Sooo for my final school project I was asked to show it here! My idea its a terror hospital with a bigger focus on tension than horror in first person, its a haunted hospital wing, aiming for a vibe like chernobyl or similar where it seems stuck in time, old, etc

Here are some images of my references and blocking with spanish words aiming to what each room its meant to be.

And here its the current blocking! I lack a bit of filler props but I think I might have gone overboard already a bit with the current amount.

3 Likes

Beautiful! It takes a lot of work. Please, please keep posting.

The references are definitely rather spooky. Do you know what sort of horrifying creature you’re going to end up going with to haunt the hospital?

Thank you very much! I will have some updates this weekend so stay tuned!

I was thinking something more how to say it? Tense? Instead of some big monster or zombie, maybe a haunted hospital by someone who died there… And you can go into the morgue and still see the body covered, a hand peeking out.

If we learn how I will add some interactables and maybe can look into spooky events like somethign noisily falling when you turn from a perfectly fine untouched room… Or I can go for the stuck in time haunted approach

1 Like

Love that! Can’t wait to see more :]

Then stay tuned for this weekend! I’m finishing the modular props and some planned ones, its going to be in first person

Nooow im wondering if I could make a camera as an asset to hold instead of some flashlight and make it usable hm… Gotta ask the teacher :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I do think black and white tiled floors are spooky :ghost:

Noted! What do you think for the walls those white with a green line one?

I wouldn’t want to intrude any more… Not sure what white and green you mean?

You are not intruding dw! I just like writing ideas down when offered, who knows, maybe its something that works better than my original plan for the vibe (Or, as they say, two heads think better than one)

It’s hard to explain! Where I live some hospitals inside are painted like part of the wall white and a big stripe of this strange green turquoise color thats meant to be “Calming”

OK. Well that would be more present-day hospital. Mindfulness and therapies time. Before all that I heard some pretty grueling treatments for patients existed.

My idea was firstly a cream colour or magnolia; because my flat is painted that colour; and although it goes with most furnishings… It’s a dull colour.

My other option, (a little cliché) would be deep red with cream pillars or something. A pink colour might get people’s heads thinking.

All good ideas! I will play around in my blocking once I put some furniture to see how I can make it all fit together nicely so it looks good and interesting!

thanks! <3

Lot’s of updates! I decided to make a camera as an “Hero asset”, but went for a weird choice - A polaroid! - I think it would be an interesting twist on horror camera use, instead of a video or modern camera (Or older like fatal frame) and ol’ good polaroid.

Also made some assets, this is a first texture pass so they look kinda meh still, but as the level gets more props its easier to make each propr more interesting! I think I might have to remove the damage from some like the doors and use decals to avoid them looking so repetitive

Here are the “Bookmarks” as teacher calls them, basically important shots that should be interesting! For now they lack a lot of strenght but I hope to not dissapoint adding more interesting elements to them

I had to put the images in an imgur because I am too new to embed more than one image! Sorry for the inconvenience!

thanks for tuning in for "Netzahre makes an hospital electric boogaloo! The walls are temporal but the hype its forever

1 Like

Third update! This is the moment where I realize I am a bit lost on making this look scary but im sure once all the props are in, it will be easier to visualize what could help!

For now behold. I managed to put the camera in! I have no idea yet how to adjust the arms so for now you are an armless photographer, terrorific

I’ve also finished some more assets, still first run of texturing, might change some, might keep others, depends on feedback, time, how good they look, etc! I changed some of the walls texture although im not 100% sold on the brick walls for the walls going to the garden I think its an ok variation for now, will add more next time, might need to create an extra material

I also fixed some textures according to my teacher’s feedback and instead of making the tree myself got one from a project in the bazaar called “City Park Environment Collection” Made by SilverTm, thanks for your hard work!

Since I can only post one update I will link again an imgur with all the images I am providing my teacher for your enjoyment, I think I bit more than I can chew so some of the rooms will be closed now and if I have time I will add them, if not… Bloody doors to justify? :flushed:

The imgur album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Anyways! Thanks for checking on me, providing really useful feedback and showing interest! See you next week with more and better!

Here we are for another week!

I figured out i had lumen turned off and thats why my horror hospital looked a biiiit too bright, like the ceiling didnt exist, now problem is that lumen lights kinda act strange but its ok, we will figure it out I guess

Also I think the camera is finally done! Look at this baby. Its not like, the BEST camera ever made, but im proud of it.

I will post my bookmarks and some extra pictures of the environemnts not seen in them, it feels a bit empty so i might have to look for filler props

Uploading: bookmark_2.jpg…
Uploading: bookmark_3.jpg…

Its not a super cool update but Im in love with lumen, seeing the emissives be actually usable to make lights!? CRAZY

See you next week! Gotta fix some problems in the vertex painting too

3 Likes

Okay! Smaller update because ive been kinda sick and burnout but its all good

I changed how the lightning looks like a LOT and maybe I went a bit too dark but oh well, I also need to find the texture pool size configuration becuase its freaking out suddently when yesterday it was okay.

I also updated some of the props and textures becuase they looked… Weird.

Hopefully next week its better!

2 Likes

Greetings @netzahre !

I am so sorry to learn that you have been ill and burned out. We hope you feel much better soon!

Yes, the lighting is definitely very dark now. Darkness makes the Horror Hospital even more creepy. I don’t know if you are able to do this, but for the really unlit, hard to see areas, if you could place a flickering light (like a light that seems like it would burn out at any moment), it would add to the creep factor and provide a little more lighting so it isn’t too dark to see where you are.

Just a suggestion. Great job on the retextures! Everything looks really old, overused, and tattered as intended! Get well soon! :pray:t4:

I am feeling way better after watching some movies and cuddling with my kitties! Hopefully next week I can do the props I want to do and have some extra time to create filler props like plant pots, put an image into the camera or figure how to “fake” it so it looks really cool!

I will ask my teacher how we could do that, it sounds like a great idea! I also plan on adding those security green and red lights so they give some light without ruining the entire mood (Also they are super creepy)

Only problem Im having aside of feeling its not interesting enough visually yet (I tend to be hard on myself, trying to break into the industry!) and having some issues with unreal texture pool saying ive gone over and being unable to find how to change it without the console

But good news! Feeling better and resting so I can return to this with fresh eyes, add some cool decals to give that variety it needs and make it the coolest horror hospital I can!

1 Like

Outlast might be a great game to look at for inspiration. It took place in a mental hospital and definitely has a similar vibe to what you’re going for.

And it’d be a good excuse to binge watch a playthrough, for research purposes of course. :sunglasses: