Field Grass Package Vol. 1

Having 500k grass from this pack and no fps issues. :slight_smile: Just need to set culling (around 3000 is good) and not have too big grass density. All thumbs up from me.

Update!
Now you can also download the package for the 4.9 version of the engine :slight_smile:

Nice Pack so far.

Do you plan to add LODs on a later update?

Currently I’m testing some ways to use LOD’s but I dont know if they will be efficent/good looking, but I will keep you guys updated with my progress :slight_smile:

the low density looks good still, thanks for the pic.
the neutral gray ground under it makes it pop a little. would it be too much to ask now for a similar picture, but placed on top of a natural ground texture? (soil or short grass) - it would make the definitive ‘test’ for seeing how it looks in less dense areas :slight_smile:

btw with LOD I didn’t mean that you’d add less quality LODs. rather I meant that there could be LODs to include for closeups with better quality, namely a more subdivided version.
I mention this because while it all looks quite good, in your video the wind movement gives it away as too low-poly. the parts touching the ground move a bit so it looks like it “slides” a little. a subdivided version would probably help with this, as well as improving the quality a bit.

still it’s a great pack and I’ll most likely buy it in the future, as in my eyes it seems to be the best-looking one

Yep, will post such a pic tomorrow :slight_smile:
Ahh, you mean such kind of LOD’s -> yep, that’s a good idea (then the wind will look much better)

Hi!

Im pretty new to unreal so I would like to know:

1. How to make the grass reaction work with characters

2.How to change the grass types (fire,snow)

1. Playing with the wind effect (its a bit aggressive now)

Would you care to to a tutorial for using this for us…newer users

Ps. Do I need to learn the grass tool in UE for this? :slight_smile:

Is it ok for your when I post such a tutorial after the game jam is over? :slight_smile:

Yep, you have to learn one of the ways how you can place foliage -> foliage tool, landscape grass type or procedural foliage spawner

Ofc its okey! :slight_smile: Good luck with the jam!!

Okey right, knew the foliage tool. Its pretty straight forward! If its as good as the others then Im fine :slight_smile: But yeah, looking forward for some information regarding the points/concerns above!

GL again!

Ok, here is the video :slight_smile:

v=DeNSa9zHA40

Update!
With the next update I will include the first ground texture. It will be a grass texture + normal map :slight_smile:
The texture was made from a pic of the ground that was at the nearly exact same position as the grass textures for the meshes

Preview:

Is it possible to get this pack compatible with 4.10 in the short term? We jumped on to 4.10 only to discover it’s not yet compatible and we can’t really go back because of some fixes in the latest release.

Good Question. I also want to switch to 4.10 soon.

I have already sent the 4.10 package to epic games. Currently waiting till they update it :slight_smile:

Yet to download this but it looks great. I’m wondering about the possibility of a mesh that combines a grouping of grass tufts over an area - maybe 1m^2, that can transition into a billboard lod for the sake of rendering very large and distant fields. Do you think this could be a possibility?

Also does the grass interaction work with multiple actors at a time?

It’s possible to create one bigger mesh + then add a billboard for the distance -> but placing smaller meshes + then in the distance they get grouped to one bigger billboard is not possible
Atm it’s just working with one single actor, but you can easily “add” every other actor to the material. You will just have to create a new vector for the position of the other actor + combine it a lerp node. After that the effect will be also played at that position. But as this way is a little bit too inconvenient I’m currently looking for a better way. :smiley:

The picture for zigziglagirafe:
Make sure that you use the included ground material + the included ground grass material instance constant (M_grass_pro_Inst_grassground)
High Resolution – usp=sharing

Picture for David:

The view is on the default height of the character (I think thats around 1.8m) + very very very small meshes + a very high density -> you can even make the meshes smaller, but then you will have to add more meshes + the build time gets longer.

(when you “play” the scene it looks a little bit better, because it gets a little bit blurred) :slight_smile:

Cha-ching!

Hello.

1. For some reason I am getting pretty bad pefromance on GTX760. And looks like it heavily depends on FOV value.
    There are two screens:
    https://cdn.discordapp/attachments/123805999374008320/129293679792881664/unknown.png
    https://cdn.discordapp/attachments/123805999374008320/129293780183547904/unknown.png

2. I have motion blur disabled, but once wind is enabled I getting some kind of messy image…
    This is example for static grass (it nice):
    https://cdn.discordapp/attachments/123805999374008320/129294034731532288/unknown.png
    And this is example of moving grass:
    https://cdn.discordapp/attachments/123805999374008320/129294219851333632/unknown.png

Any ideas?

Run profilegpu instead, and see whats eating your frames.

The grass looks messy for a couple of reasons, first and foremost temporal AA. In your PostProcess volume set it to FXAA in the Misc section and see if that helps.