FGear Vehicle Physics (v1.4)

good news guys, v1.5 will be uploaded this week.

1 Like

OH! So, convex shape finally possible with some kind of workaround?

yes itā€™s possible, we hardly found a way thanks to scarce documentationā€¦

Hi! Can you include a brake and tire temperature system in this update? When the tires are warming up, the pressure rises

sorry, we can not include last minute feature additions but only bug fixes.

and this is more of an arcade system where those temperatures will only be used for cosmetic stuff so you can do it yourself with a couple of basic calculations. we prefer working on things that effect the dynamics of the vehicles.

Hi, I see there is an update ready on the marketplace :slight_smile: - do we have a 1.5 changelog

v1.5 is available

CHANGELOG v1.5
Convex casting option
Wheel reaction forces
Ability to turn engine on/off
Improvements and bug fixes

Additional Notes:
-By default a cylinder mesh from ā€œEngineContent/BasicShapesā€ is used for convex casting.
A query only hidden mesh object is created for this purpose.
If you want to provide another mesh make sure its scale and orientation matches that cylinder.
Convex casting is more sensitive to floating point precision issues so for ex. if you use a large(a couple of km wide) plane/cube/brush as ground then casts can return unexpected results and vehicles can shake wildly for no reason.
-Wheel reaction force is enabled with a float instead of a boolean. Wheel forces can be too large for low mass objects so using a smaller number might be desirable for some cases.
-You can try engine on/off feature in Modificaton.map in the sample project.
-Vehicles failed to stay on rotating objects, its fixed now.
-Trace Complex option(FCollisionQueryParams::bTraceComplex) added to tracing options. Enable to trace against complex(per poly) collision.
-In some cases throttling failed to generate wheel torque when the vehicle goes backwards while in 1st gear, this is fixed now.
-Skidmarks were generating warnings in 4.27, itā€™s fixed now.
-Ray gizmos are not displayed if trace mode is not Line.
-All UPROPERTY tags are converted to FPROPERTY as we dropped 4.24 support.
-All maps in sample project used to have 2x2km box brushes, we used smaller blocks(400x400m) to avoid floting point issues with convex casting.
-Motion blur is disabled for all maps in sample project.
-DragRace.map in sample project is modified to have a finish line.

2 Likes

Brilliant work, thank you so much

Just testing, maybe i have some value wrong in some site but this happens when i set convex tracing, the skids are placed vertically Āæ?

Also the car was shaking too much that was fixed after disable this component:

So maybe that component is not anymore useful or deprecated?

interesting, we tested all cars in sample project with convex casting and never seen such issue, iā€™ll take a lookā€¦

about suspension constraint, it actually does what itā€™s supposed to do but the constraint solver reacts wildly. i found a setting to fix that issue in unity but somehow the same setting does not help in unreal. i will keep looking for a solution.

I deleted that suspension thing, no idea why i added/enabled now, i tested and all seems to work in same way, tried the bumps, jumps/falls and all seems to be fine.

Also with trace complex enabled, SKids and tyre smoke are not visible, if deactivate they are visible again Āæ?

thanks for the feedback, trace complex casts against trimesh collision, may be unreal fails to return physical material that way, not sure yet.

EDIT : i couldnā€™t recreate this issue either, activating trace complex changed nothing for me. i will test with splines.

Tests were made in 4.25.4, i tried on 4.27 and same. With convex the skids appears in some kind of vertical way, and with trace complex skids and smoke not appear. With Line and sphere tracing without trace complex all works perfect.

Im gonna try setting some car values to default and different car custom collision,etcā€¦ to see if something is giving that kind of problems.

Will be possible update the OrbitCamera to do this?

Now it just pass throught objects. Is there any quick fix for that? Maybe via blueprints? or if via code any line to edit/add? Or maybe add in the new update/hotfix please?

of course its possible but it would require some work and possibly a lot of tweaking.

we have stated many times that we generally do not prefer working on game specific features so itā€™s up to the developers to make cameras, lights, particle effects etc.

Effects, OrbitCamera vs. components are for prototypingā€¦

Ok thanks, thought maybe was easy / small edit but it looks is more complex with lot of tweaking than i thought, no problem.

Ok, problems fixed, it looks was the plane i was using as floor for some reason.

I changed to a Landscape type for the asphalt to add puddles and some interactions, and now convex and trace complex works without problems.

good to hear and thanks for the feedback.

Is there any difference between FGearArcadeAssists::updateAntiRollBars() and FGearVehicle::updateAntiRollBar()? I look at the code and see that in one case setSpringCoeff is used and in the other applyVerticalForce? but would like to ask you?

is there any sense to use them together in game?

FGearVehicle::updateAntiRollBar, this is a realistic antirollbar but mostly you wonā€™t feel a difference in driving experience.

FGearArcadeAssists::updateAntiRollBars, this is a fake antirollbar that applies external forces to the chassis but very effective.

no need to use them both, if itā€™s an arcade game just use the fake oneā€¦