Feedback on the new docs site

It should be great to comment every page to ask precision !
Thanks for all
Julien

HI, suggestion at least for newbies to Source Control.
Under source control and perforce there isn’t much info on what ‘files’ to add to server ( local host here), given:

“To submit something, first right-click on the change list and then select Submit. Then enter a change list description and click”.

Doing this all for the first time literally, that’s very vague. Many of us are creating landscapes , some small games etal, so something using those at least as an EX, would be very helpful, bc atm I ve no idea where to even start , for sure.

Being unsure isn’t healthy in this game.

ty

[=“sprime2019, post:298, topic:126746”]

Can’t find anywhere in the documentation how to get ProRes to appear in the Sequencer Capture Settings drop down. Very much appreciate a heads ups.
[/]

I’ve followed the steps on that page (Render Cinematics in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation), but it still doesn’t show up as an option:

I’ve also followed the docs for using the Movie Render Queue Output Formats (Cinematic Rendering Export Formats in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation), and these instructions don’t work, either. I’m using 4.26.1, though it wasn’t working in 4.26 either. Here’s what I see for output options inside the Movie Render Queue (note that Final Cut Pro XML is not the same as ProRes):

The networking overview page: Networking Overview | Unreal Engine Documentation

Has a “Multiplayer Programming Quick Start” link in “See Also” that is currently broken: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/InteractiveExperiences/Networking/Quickstart/index.html

[=“FabioA, post:656, topic:126746”]

The image is no longer displayed. Instead I see this text boxed in red:

An example hardware layout with three render nodes(h:600)](incameravfxdiagram.jpg)

Thank you
[/]

Hello, the image is still not available, it still says An example hardware layout with three render nodes(h:600)](incameravfxdiagram.jpg)

Thank you

After I had open any image and then close it, I am not able anymore to scroll page until refresh

[=“Abgaryan_FX, post:307, topic:126746”]

NO EXAMPLES IN DOCS !!!

[/]

Nothing has changed in a year …
are you sure that feedback isn’t useless ?

Wrong image for step 6:

This image is supposed to show how you decrement ammo, but it is a repeat of the previous step.

How are people supposed to learn the engine and how to use it when the basic how to documents like character movement are not even up to date?

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…ers/index.html

Code on this page is untested and probably not even read after writing. There are errors like “TArray UVTransforms” and “TArray<type>”

Also, weird style of writing “class” in member variables declarations

**UPDATE: **someone finished the code already and it seems to work: GitHub - Luis24989/SkeletalMeshMerger: Plugin tha merges skeletal meshes at runtime, good for procedur I only had to remove lines 83 and 84 from header to make it compile and replace AddInitialized with AddDefaulted in cpp to prevent it from crashing

Is there any way to access the old C++ API reference documentation? It did provide example code and more extensive information, really valuable to get to know some methods. The new version of the reference seems quite poor and incomplete compared, probably until it’s finished, but in the meantime it would be good to have access to the previous version. Thank you

Niagara docs/examples are for older version? 4.26.1 slightly different than documents

Documentation pages need more than just what the name of the input, output, and pin type on blueprint nodes are. They need to actually say how the nodes function!

Example, I want to use ProjectPointToNavigation, it doesn’t tell me what the extent input is for or how to use the node. Documentation needs to be better.

A fix to the HDR documentation page: High Dynamic Range Display Output | Unreal Engine Documentation

Following this page’s recommendation to use the “Enable HDR Display Output” will never work in a standard project. The docs fail to mention that the source checks whether the config variable “r.AllowHDR” is set to 1 or not, otherwise it ignores the request. Using the console command bypasses this check but also bypasses the automatic setting of fullscreen modes so is less useful.

The “r.AllowHDR” config variable should really be mentioned on this page, you’ll only find out about it by reading the source code otherwise.

in the doc of “DemoNetDriver” please include essential information like demo recordhz, because the default value of recordihz is 8 that gives a choppy result which cannot be used. so it might be worth including one more line that shows how to increase the recordingHZ to 30 or 60. i.e “demo.recordhz 60” to get fluid recording from demorec #demorec #recording

Broken documentation:

In the page “Building for iOS on Windows”, the section “Workaround for Unprotected Private Key” needs to be redone because the SubInACL command line tool is no longer available from Microsoft (and does not appear to work with current versions of Windows 10). I’ll put one alternative method below, using the same structure as in the doc (hopefully that makes this a little easier to fix, thanks for all the documentation!):

You might see an error that reads as follows:

ERROR: Unable to determine home directory for remote user. SSH output:…WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!..0660
If you do not see this error, you can proceed with the next step. If you do see this error, use the following steps to resolve it:

1. Navigate to your RemoteToolChainPrivate.key
  2. Right-click the file and select “Properties”
  3. Click the “Security” tab
  4. Click “Edit…”
  5. Remove all group or user names
  6. Click “Add…”
  7. Click “Object Types…” and make sure all boxes are checked, then hit OK
  8. In the text box, type “Users”, then hit Enter.
  9. Make sure permissions for Users is set to Read and Read & Execute

This will change the file’s primary group so that it is not the same as your username, which is what confuses SSH when it checks group permissions. The process should then work as normal.

(Note that SubInACL could previously be used for this purpose, but is no longer available from Microsoft. Cygwin is a possible alternative which has been discussed in AnswerHub)

I was attempting to post a response to a specific UE4 Document, and was led to this site. But I believe my response is valid for most of the Unreal documentation.

This documentation provides no information beyond that already available in the header file.
This documentation provides no examples of how it would be used in a real-world situation.
This documentation provides no links to tutorials or learning documents that would help someone understand how to use this, even though sanctioned examples exist.
This documentation includes no ‘see also’ entries.
There seems to be no alternate Unreal documentation on this subject.

Note that if your think my suggested level of documentation is unreasonable, I would point out that it is typical for entries in the Microsoft SDK documentation.

While this documentation may be valuable as reference for someone already familiar with this topic, I feel that this documentation is useless for anyone coming to this page attempting to learn UE4.

As someone who has been using the Unreal Engine daily for almost ten years, I find this to be an accurate assessment of the current Unreal documentation.

On the FPS tutorial page:

2 - Implementing your Character | Unreal Engine Documentation

…three is mention of an FPSCamera class, which doesn’t exist. My guess is that it used to exist but the tutorial was updated at some point and all references to it were not removed.

Secondly, the part where it asks you to move the default position of the camera so that it is near to the character’s eye level doesn’t work. It asks you to put the following code in the FPSCharacter constructor:

FPSCameraComponent->SetRelativeLocation(FVector(0.0f, 0.0f, 50.0f + BaseEyeHeight));

…this did not work for me. I moved it to the BeginPlay() function and it worked as it should, so it seems that the constructor was called too early before some other dependencies were initialised maybe.

[=“Fizzyweasel, post:676, topic:126746”]

On the FPS tutorial page:

2 - Implementing your Character | Unreal Engine Documentation

…three is mention of an FPSCamera class, which doesn’t exist. My guess is that it used to exist but the tutorial was updated at some point and all references to it were not removed.

Secondly, the part where it asks you to move the default position of the camera so that it is near to the character’s eye level doesn’t work. It asks you to put the following code in the FPSCharacter constructor:

FPSCameraComponent->SetRelativeLocation(FVector(0.0f, 0.0f, 50.0f + BaseEyeHeight));

…this did not work for me. I moved it to the BeginPlay() function and it worked as it should, so it seems that the constructor was called too early before some other dependencies were initialised maybe.
[/]

FYI the reason SetRelativeLocation() was not working was because it just sets the default for that component. But the previous value will still be set in the Editor. So you have to go into the Blueprint Editor, click on the relevant component (in this case FPSCameraComponent) and in the Details section find the relevant value (in this case Transform->Location) and click the yellow reset-to-default icon next to the value. You’ll have to do this for some other stuff too.

1. Pawn page: Pawn in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation
    The last sentence of the first paragraph is cut off:

[]
This not only means that the Pawn determines what the player or AI entity looks like visually, but also how it interacts with the world in terms of collisions and other physical
[/]

1. Camera Components page: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Basics/Components/Camera/index.html
    Typo in the sentence (underlined):

[]
A related property that can be set for any Pawn is Take Camera Control When Possessed, which causesu the Pawn to become the ViewTarget automatically upon possession by a PlayerController.
[/]

1. Transforming Actors page: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Basics/Actors/Transform/index.html
    Potential missing embedded icon in the sentence (underlined):

[]
The Scale fields can also be locked by clicking the button_lock_scale.png button.
[/]