Feedback on the new docs site

I’ve been attempting to access the “Scripting The Editor Using Python” documentation page the last few days but have been unable to due to a redirect error.

The page for “advanced search syntax” just brings me to the home documentation page. It appears that this page should still be available because I can find it via the search box.

this is about setting up Visual Studio to work with Unreal.

There’s a separate doc named as UnrealVS extension which is introduced in Visual Studio setting up doc.
(Setting Up Visual Studio Development Environment for C++ Projects in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation))
However, it introduces UnrealVS, but it doesn’ include a hyperlink. Why not embed a hyperlink which leads to UnrealVS set up doc? It looks undone without a hyperlink. The reader who visits this website

In Gameplay Modules | Unreal Engine Documentation, section Module Creation. I believe there is a typo in:
[GameName]\Source[ModuleName]\Public
which should be:
[GameName]\Source[ModuleName]\Public
I believe so because there appears later its analog as:
[GameName] \Source\ [ModuleName]\Private
Therefore, it seems that either there is a missing \ in the first one, or an extra one in the second one.

I have some questions about Revit files and Datasmith. I converted some files from Revit to Datasmith but some of them has a low FPS and when I visualized in VR it is nota well job. How do I fix this?

2 Likes

Hello just a suggestion about the heightmap documentation: Landscape Technical Guide in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

I am trying to determine how to correctly set the scale for an imported heightmap, but the documentation doesn’t seem to make any mention of how to do this. The scale settings work for manipulating the heightmap after importing, but I’m trying to import it with the correct scale.

QuickStartSampleAssets.zip is missing from the Artist Quick Start tutorial.

The feedback button at the bottom brings us here.
That’s cool too, but I was expecting a simple form filed where to type in a message relating to feedback about the inaccuracies within the documentation, not a forum post talking about the update…

[=“MostHost_LA, post:28, topic:126746”]

The feedback button at the bottom brings us here.
That’s cool too, but I was expecting a simple form filed where to type in a message relating to feedback about the inaccuracies within the documentation, not a forum post talking about the update…
[/]

That’s the plan in the long-term. However, this was a short-term option to make it easier for people to leave feedback more quickly than navigating the forums.

For the moment, we are pointing to this post about all the recent changes to the documentation site, but later we may change the feedback button to point to a more dedicated post. For the time being, since we know there are more issues with our recent migration to this site (ie. redirects or pages not showing), this post has been very helpful in identifying those types of issues.

Thanks for your patience and know that we certainly want an easier way for our customers to report issues from the documentation site without having to post here in the forums. :slight_smile:

1. The link to this important document about Input handling is hidden.
    There is no way to discover this page with documentations’ table of contents.

2. The “Programming Guide” section has two “Unreal Architecture” branches, which is confusing.

3. On some pages the table of contents frame on the left not scrolling.

Is this general feedback about the web page? This page has errors. A lot of misinformation. Stuff that worked in previous versions, but do not work in 4.22 : Creating Objects in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

ConstructObject<> does not exist.
GetTransientPackage() for an outer, Causes a crash in the GC… [2019.06.10-23.11.39:692][583]LogGarbage: Warning: Disregard for GC object InputComponent /Engine/Transient.InputComponent referencing PlayerInput /Game/Maps/EP1/WorldComposition_Master.WorldComposition_Master:PersistentLevel.MyPlayerController_0.PlayerInput_0 which is not part of root set NewNamedObject does not exist. So 2 of the 3 topics are no longer part of the engine. 1 of them uses an invalid default outer, which crashes the game the first time the GC runs. There is NO way to create an InputComponent, in our module Startup code that does not cause a crash.

Please reindex the docs asap. Google results are useless atm.
As example
Google

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Programming/UnrealBuildSystem/ProjectFileGenerator

Real

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming/BuildTools/UnrealBuildTool/ProjectFilesForIDEs/index.html

Hello,

in Quick Start Guide to Implementing Automatic Camera Control in Unreal Engine CPP | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation tutorial. Bad file names “MyPawn.h” and “MyPawn.cpp” in all “Finished Code” sections. Please find the attached files

+1 to above comment. A simple mod re-write can take care of that globally.

So, on here:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…ols/index.html

is the Leg IK node missing or did it just never get documented? Can you guys document it in all it’s “glory”?

On the same page, your tooltips (either Title or Alt text) all start with <p> tags. this is obviously incorrect HTML no matter which way you wish to spin it.

(Coding Standard | Unreal Engine Documentation)
Coding Standard / Namespaces / Namespaces are not supported by UnrealHeaderTool, so they should not be used when defining UCLASSes, USTRUCTs and so on.

Maybe it’s good to avoid “and so on” and just list every class it affects. I was searching for an issue with using Namespaces and UFUNCTION and didn’t find a result.

Some of the videos used for docs are visible, I think they all should be unlisted:

@Jim.Bradbury It shows up in search results, but those videos are not HOW TO’s they just examples of the results. So people opening those - see, no tutorial, and downvoting the video, and leaving negative comment as result (well, obviously).
“Unlisted” will exclude it from youtube search results. You may rename the video as alternative, to something more meaningful, like “example”. But those videos do not even have a description with link to the original article. What’s the point?

[=“that_lightworker, post:14, topic:126746”]

The Search Documentation … bar in the upper right corner is not working. I don’t know if it’s just me or if it’s already been reported. Every time I try to search a keyword, I get a “403 Forbidden” error.
[/]

It happens 100% of the time for me when I use Edge… I know, who uses Edge. But sometimes I just do a search in the search bar and go to the doc site. Then, I’ll just do a search on the doc site for some C++ API thingy and bam, 403.

teak

[=“Mkalafut, post:13, topic:126746”]

The Epic Online Services Docs have a dark theme. My only feedback currently is that it’d be really nice to have a darker theme available for the standard documentation.
[/]

Just about to write a note on this myself… +1 for a dark theme…

teak​​​​​​​

HELLO,
https//docs.unrealengine.com/zh-CN/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/LightTypes/Spot/index.html此页面上的中文文档似乎已经丢失了英文评论,这对学习起来不是很方便。在其他照明说明中,有英文评论。可以纠正吗?谢谢!