First of all, let’s think about the teleport “feature”. How many games have teleports among them? There’s no MMORPG without teleports, for example. Or this big amount of times in which the transition from level to level or from room to room is a loading screen.
Portals would be a very cool option for developers to make these transitions much cooler. And I can think of more than one game designer with portals in their dreams.
My idea of the Portal object is very simple:
- Visually based on a 3D quad.
- Transformation matrix from portal source to portal destiny.
- Every camera with a portal in its frustum will need a duplicate transformed by the previously stated matrix.
- The quad just renders what’s in that duplicate camera, with a shape mask (usually an ellipse).
- In the case the destiny is in another map/level we’re also going to need some level streaming.
- The pawns, once they intersect with the portal, will start to be rendered also in the other side (using the transform matrix).
- The pawns’ positions will be modified with the matrix only when their center intersects with the portal (or when they finish crossing it, up to your choice).
I’m aware of the big amount of possible problems that will strike during the development of this, as well as I’m aware that such a feature in such a complex engine could become a nightmare to whoever is assigned the task, but consider the outcomes of having this in your features list.
Thanks for reading,