All specialized editors of the Unreal Engine Editor (Blueprint editor, Material editor…) are always on top of the main editor’s window and this makes it impossible to alt-tab to the main window while another one is still open (on a single monitor setup of course).
This slows down the workflow, as I have to do one of these things:
- Close the blueprint editor window, then when I need to edit the blueprint again, I have to find the asset in the content browser and reopen it.
- Resize the blueprint window, move it off to to the side and try to use the main window which is half covered up.
- Move the blueprint editor off the screen temporarily and still have the main window partially covered up.
- Minimize the blueprint window by clicking it’s icon in the taskbar and maximize it in the same manner
- Tab the blueprint editor in the main editor’s window and click on the tab which I want to open.
The last option is the best one, but it’s still worse than alt-tabbing as it’s much easier to press two buttons on the keyboard than to have to move my mouse over the whole screen (and desk) just to switch editors.
I heard that you already plan to implement browser like shortcuts for switching tabs, but I would like to request making alt-tabbing through windows also possible, while not losing the ability to drag and drop stuff between windows.