FBX Crash 4.14.2 with multiple material IDs

Here is the link. I did some testing and found out that I could not re-produce the crash by importing the meshes but only by re-importing them so I think you’re right that this is a different issue.

Same issue with crashing on fbx import in 4.14.2 here. I was able to fix a mesh that caused crashing by removing all materials within Blender, then re-creating and assigning the materials. I was able to replicate this solution with a few of my simpler meshes.

I suspect that at least my crashing may have been caused by unused materials.

Seems to me more like UE-39692 Fbx importer crash when reordering material array with unused material in the fbx node

Hi everyone.

We have released a QFE “quick-fix” for this issue. Please grab it from the top post here:

Current Available Quick-Fix Solutions - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

This will be included in an upcoming hotfix, but until then this QFE should help resolve the issue.

Cheers

Fixed by commit https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/3dd2cb314295be21406ffd4e022a87d3ddfce00c and issue Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-39692) .

Solution is to recompile UE from 4.14 branch.

I applied latest patch but still having crash when importing FBX file.
Here is summary:

Fatal error: [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp] [Line: 2299]
Objects have the same fully qualified name but different paths.
New Object: SkeletalMesh /Game/sf_mx4.sf_mx4
Existing Object: Material /Game/sf_mx4.SF_MX4

How I can fix this?

Didn’t solve my problem, .obj and .fbx are still crashing UE.

thank you, this solved my issues!

John Tracid. You seem to be experiencing a different issue than is reported here. Please create a new Bug Report for it here on the Answerhub, and we will follow up.

Yahiya, I’m glad the QFE solved the issue for you.

Rogy, are you still experiencing the same assertion and callstack as reported in Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-40229) ? (you may need to enable debugging symbols via the “Optional” dropdown on the Engine slot in the Launcher)

If not, then it is likely a different issue. Please create a new bug report for it and we will follow up.

Thanks.

Update @anonymous_user_ab9f5497 - I investigated your crash report and you are experiencing a different crash. Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-37999) The cause of it is currently under investigation.

Ok, thanks Stephen, my GPU is Quadro 1000m if that’s of any help.

Brilliant! I had exactly the same issue after update, and changing material helped - thank you

The 4.14.3 Hotfix is now available on the Launcher and Github! This should resolve this issue without using the QFE.

4.14.3 Hotfix Released - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

I am getting a similar repeatable crash on a 90,000 poly static mesh import from Blender to UE4 as an FBX. THis is in 4.14.3.

@Dingo_aus

There are several crashes around FBX that were introduced that have either been reported or still need a ticket. This one has been resolved and we’ve seen the number of crashes drop drastically. With that being said, please make a new post and make sure to include the needed information to reproduce, logs, call stack, etc.

You can find all that here: Einen Fehler melden - Unreal Engine

I had the same problem.

I found out that empty Materials were the cause. Just go through and check if every material is applied to at least one face of the objects it is assigned to. :slight_smile: