Fast Global Illumination Approximations on Deep G-Buffers

What does the UE dev team think of this tech, is it something that UE would consider as a GI solultion?

[QUOTE=voltaire585;124013]Fast Global Illumination Approximations on Deep G-Buffers - YouTube
What does the UE dev team think of this tech, is it something that UE would consider as a GI solultion?
[/QUOTE]

there is one issue. It is scree space. And by that it can only be complimentary solution.
As imagine what happens when you turn back to light source. Entire lighting will change dramatically.

But it can be good for simulating local bounces on detailed objects. Just like SSAO is good at simulating small scale AO.

In which case you may as well just go with standard screenspace and not bother rendering all that extra stuff. Which is what UE4 already does with screenspace raytraced reflections.

Far more interesting, voxel cone tracing with “2 to 3 bounces” in realtime on the PS4 in a shipping game: http://www.3dvf.com/actualite-10470-the-tomorrow-children-fera-appel-au-cascaded-voxel-cone-ray-tracing.html

I’m excited to hear the talk, when it gets translated from french or whatever. I’m sure Tim Sweeney and others will be interested as well.

Personally I’m not a fan of wide-scale screenspace lighting techniques, as soon as the lighting feature goes offscreen it all changes. Can be great for small scale stuff though.

Nvidia provided us with some early access to a demo of it. We gave them with our feedback.

The screen space GI is probably the best implementation I have seen. I agree with though that in my experience large scale screen space effects tend to work badly with the exception of SSR.

The deep gbuffer part is not attractive for us even with hardware support, at least for this type of use. It requires shading twice as many pixels. We have trouble shading the ones we have! Having double is not desired.