Falling through elevator floor (first floor only)

I am using an elevator blueprint I found in this forum here Advanced elevator blueprint . It works fine in the map it is in, but as soon as i copy it into my map (which is in the same project), I start falling through the floor. The elevator moves up with me in it and as soon as i get between the first and second floor, I fall down the shaft. It always happens at the same height so I think it is a collision problem with something in my map, possibly the landscape. However, I can’t find how to correct the problem. If i move the position of the elevator up higher than the second floor, I can use the first floor and the rest of the elevator fine. Also if I move the elevator out of the landscape area it works fine…

I always ask this, but a VIDEO please.

(Link YouTube if you must.)

The video above shows the elevator that doesn’t work.

To elaborate, I’ve deleted a block out of the city sample and have made a grassy landscape area. In the photo, I’d like to use the elevator placed in the middle, which I fall down before making it to the first floor. The higher up elevator (on the left) and the elevator not in the landscape area (on the right) work fine.

Thank you for your reply. I’ve uploaded a video. Please have a look when you are free. I have no idea how to solve this…

Okay, to rule out a phantom/invisible collision, can you jump while the elevator rises (specifically during the point where the character falls through)?

For a better view of this, load in the BP_ThirdPersonCharacter and play as them so you can actually see what is happening.

I have another idea, but first things first.

I fell through when I jumped. I couldn’t use the third person character as i can’t interact with the elevator without using the InteractPlayer pawn which i downloaded with the blueprint.

1 Like

I’ve also tried deleting the landscape and adding a surface made from the assets on the street. Nothing worked :frowning:

Oh man, I really, REALLY need to see it with a 3PC. (Though the videos GREATLY reduce the guessing game)

Okay, I have an idea…

Attach a long rectangular box that sticks from the First Person Character. Make sure to disable collision so that it doesn’t block the elevator door.

That way, when you jump, I can track it better.

It looks like a collision. It really does. But let’s see you bounce that box.

Is this what you mean by the rectangular box?
I made the box shorter in the second video because even though i set it to no collision it still seemed to collide with the elevator mesh. Or could that collision be the potential problem?

1 Like

Yes, you have to set collision on the box to NO COLLISION.

If it’s catching the box (which it is) that means the collision is active.

Can you screenshot to confirm the box has 0 collision?

“…still seemed to collide with the elevator mesh. Or could that collision be the potential problem?”

If it IS set to NO COLLISION and it’s still colliding, that means the we need to take a look at the elevator blueprint and its collision settings.

But first, a screenshot of the box settings.

1 Like

The elevator is set to block all.

Disable “Generate Overlap Events” and “Character Can Step On?” Please.

This actually should make no difference, but I want to be 100% sure.

Yes, however, once the Event Plays, there could be code that adjusts this. Check the Blueprint to make sure that the variables for collision have not been changed.

Also, you should contact the maker of this asset for insight.

They’ll more quickly be able to root out the issue faster than anyone here.

EDIT: And seeing as you are using this in another level, it’s possible that the elevator is trying to reference something that doesn’t exist. It probably thinks no one is in the elevator. But, again, I have no idea. You’ll need to study the blueprint(s).

Done. I think it looks the same?

1 Like

Okay I’ll have a look through the blueprints. I’m a complete beginner so i’m not too sure i’ll find anything, but i’ll give it a try.
The asset was released in 2016 for ue4 and i don’t think the thread is active anymore :frowning:

That video helped SOO much.

It is 100% collision. The box seems fine, but your character is caught by something.

Programmers do a lot of weird things to make things work.

The elevator is probably referencing something, and because that something is coming back as “FALSE”, it is applying/activating a collisional plane.

I NEVER use other people’s systems in my projects. There’s just to many unknowns.

If I were you, I’d try contacting anyway or joining their discord (if it exists).

In time, you’ll be able to make sense of the blueprint. But I am willing to bet that because you can jump while it isn’t moving, and then, when it does, you can not, a blocking plane/box/whatever is spawned to react to Pawn classes.

Why?

I do not know.

(You can see that there is something about the threshold/doorway that is preventing you from rising.)

EDIT: I had it backwards. I think that there is an invisible wall/ceiling that doesn’t despawn until it is instructed to. And, again, because you’re not in the original level, it might not be detecting your character as “VALID”, and therefore BLOCKS that character.

1 Like

Thank you for your help^^
I’m reading your advice while looking through the blueprint. I do think it’s going to take me a while to work it out. I’ve also contacted the creator. Thanks again.

I found the problem. You were right it was an invisible wall. But it wasn’t from the blueprint, it was from an invisible building collision in the city sample.
Thank you so much for your help and I’m glad it wasn’t something to do with the programming because I would’ve had no idea ^^; haha

1 Like