Failed to open map file. This is most likely because the map was saved with a newer version of the engine.

Hello guys,

When I try to bring my project from UE4.27 to UE5.0 I get this message:
“Failed to open map file. This is most likely because the map was saved with a newer version of the engine.”

I tried everything, replacing levels with backuplevels but somehow it creates a blank level and Im not able to see the main level in my content browser? Whats happening? Someone has an advice? It is quite urgent. Thank you!

Hi, UE 4.27 ist not compatible with UE 5 early access, only UE 4.26 is.

2 Likes

Wow, I didnt know that. Any solutions to get it running in UE5? Otherwise I will stick to UE 4.27 for this project :frowning:

I don’t know, from the FAQ

General information

Unreal Engine 5 (UE5)

UE5 Early Access is backward-compatible with Unreal Engine 4.26 and you will be able to open your 4.26 projects in UE5 Early Access. At the time of releasing Unreal Engine 4.27, projects generated in it won’t be compatible with Early Access; however, it is our intention that 4.27 projects will be compatible with the UE5 full release.

And generally speaking Early Access / Preview versions should not be used for production. So if you use Early Access, then things can just break beyond repair and I wouldn’t take it for granted to be compatible with the full release without breaking things =)

So if you’re not just testing new stuff of UE 5 early access, then best to stick with 4.26 / 4.27

1 Like

Thank you very much. I will stick to UE 4.27 in this case.

1 Like

I am sad about this feel like I wasted a lot of time now. I already converted my projects over to .27 and made a progress on them, if I go back to .26 I will lose work. I guess I gotta wait, dam shame.

1 Like

Hi everyone, sorry to ressurect the topic

Im havinf this same error, but without trying to migrate between versions, I only have unreal 5.02, started a project on this version and after one pc restart Im getting this error message, project open, all folders seemsto be in the right place but screen is all black

Hi!

I’m getting same error when I try to downgrade 4.27 to 4.26