Fail to generate Xcode project with GenerateProjectFiles

I’m trying to build the UE5 from the source code. I was good with all the steps until I opened the GenerateProjectFIles.command.

This is what I saw after I opened the UE5.xcworkspace.

I cannot complete this step since I can’t find ShaderCompileWorker:

Here is the output generated by GenerateProjectFiles.command:
**Setting up Unreal Engine 5 project files…

Setting up bundled DotNet SDK

Log file: /Users/november19/Documents/Unreal Projects/UnrealEngine/Engine/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Log_GPF.txt

Some Platforms were skipped due to invalid SDK setup: Mac, IOS, Android, TVOS.

See the log file for detailed information

Generating data for project indexing…

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealEditor: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for BaseTextureBuildWorker: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for BenchmarkTool: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for BlankProgram: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for BuildPatchTool: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for ChaosVisualDebugger: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for CrashReportClient: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for CrashReportClientEditor: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for DatasmithUE4ArchiCAD: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for DatasmithFacadeCSharp: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for DatasmithRhino6: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for DatasmithRhino7: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for DatasmithSDK: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for EpicWebHelper: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for HeadlessChaosPerf: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for InterchangeWorker: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for LiveCodingConsole: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for LowLevelTests: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for ShaderCompileWorker: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for SlateViewer: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for SwitchboardListener: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for TestPAL: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for TextureShareSDK: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealFrontend: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealHeaderTool: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealInsights: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealLightmass: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealMultiUserServer: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealObjectPtrTool: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealPak: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealRecoverySvc: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UnrealVersionSelector: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for BootstrapPackagedGame: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

WARNING: Exception while generating include data for ZenDashboard: Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build. Check that the SDK is installed properly.

Generating data for project indexing… 100%

Writing project files… 100%

Saving session…

…copying shared history…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

[Process completed]**

Does anybody know what is going on? Did I miss something? I went back through the instruction on GitHub several times.

1 Like

I have the same problem as you, @November19th

Source: sha1 d9d435c, (tag 5.0.3-release)
Xcode: 14.0
macOS: 12.6

I found some hints elsewhere that signing certificates might be the problem, but all my signing certificates are working for other Xcode projects.

The problem appears to occur inside Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.dll, I wonder if the source of that DLL is available somewhere? Might be a source of clues.

Some other posts hint that possibly, a missing selection in Xcode → Preferences → Locations → Command Line Tools is the problem. In my case, Xcode 14.0.1 (14A400) is properly selected.

[Edit] As I’m sure the experienced Unreal devs know… The source of UnrealBuildTool is itself contained in the engine repo. So, when someone can comb through it and find out why it is choking, we might get a solution.

Same from my side while generating project files from UE 5.1 source code since yesterday… stuck and seems dead end :frowning:

Same here :frowning_face:

Same problem here

Same problem need help!

same problem

I also hit this issue this morning while attempting to set up a fresh clone of the repo for the Unreal Engine. The failed GenerateProjectFiles.command process produces the same logs as OP. Here’s a brief description of my environment:

MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i9 6-Core
macOS 13.0 (Ventura)
Xcode Version 14.1 (14B47b)
Xcode Command Line Tools are selected correctly in Xcode’s Settings pane

I’m new to trying to build Unreal from source, so I’m currently combing through the repo to try and find where that log message is produced.

Same problem.

1 Like

A small update: I’ve been doing a bit of spelunking in the build system (again, very unfamiliar with the source, so bear with me).

In UEBuildPlatformSDK.cs, there’s a method that provides the “validity” of a platform’s requisite SDK called PrintSDKInfoAndReturnValidity (in this case, presumably whatever version of the Xcode SDK is, which in my case is "14.1").

This check returns that the Mac platform’s SDK is “invalid” because the provided max SDK version allowable for platform "Mac" is "13.9.9". My guess is that everyone who posted here has updated to Xcode 14.0 or higher.

Had the same problem too and yeah, it looks like the problem is with version “14” of Xcode. Considering I didn’t have an older version of Xcode installed, I have downloaded version 13 from here: https://xcodereleases.com/.
Then changed the version from Xcode>Preferences>Locations>Command Line Tools. It solved my issue!

1 Like

I was curious if I could get UE5 to build at all under Xcode 14.1.

I did a nasty hack in UEBuildPlatformSDK.cs to allow v 14.1 on Mac when running GenerateProjectFiles. That part seemed to work just fine.

After opening the workspace in Xcode, ShaderCompileWorker builds just fine, but the UE5 build has appeared hung for a couple hours for me.

I’m sure Epic is already working on official support for Xcode 14.x. In the meantime, I guess I’ll install Xcode 13! Thanks all.

Good to know, hope we get xcode 14 working on next few releases

Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

This fixed it for me too, managed to build the 5.1 branch on Ventura as Apple Silicon with no issues. Thanks!

2 Likes

I did what you said, but after I download Xcode 13(13.41),it said I can’t run Xcode 13 on Ventura. I tried use terminal to run Xcode 13, but in the command line tools part I can’t find Xcode 13(only Xcode 14). Could you please tell me how you fix this issue?

This issue is fixed by a QFE for 5.0.3 (“Platform Mac is not a valid platform to build” error with Xcode 14): http://cdn.unrealengine.com/qfe/QFE-5.0-Xcode14Support-CL-22337428-PF-22380667-Job-cbd57f.zip

Details in this post (please read it before applying the QFE): Current Available Quick-Fix Solutions

1 Like

@Kafumanto this solves above all issue, just by a simple click, very nice!

@Kafumanto I am getting the following error when attempting to install the QFE:

“UnrealQFEInstaller” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

Have you faced similar issue?

2 Likes