Fade Distance Smoothing

Hello, i usually figure things out by searching around on the internet but this is one of the issues i have which i can’t seem to figure out on my own or find anything related to.

I’m trying to create a smooth distance fade using the PerInstanceFadeAmount node, i’m assuming there is a node which smoothes the transition inbetween in-range and out of range, but i have no idea what it is or how to use it.
Right now the transition is very rough and very visible, example in video. [2019 08 31 20 56 50 - YouTube][2]

I would like to make it smooth, perhaps by slowly turning the more distant objects invisible based on the distance from the camera, or anything that would give out that effect, any help is appreciated!

Idk what perinstancefadeamount does, but here’s how to set up a fade in using cameradepthfade and per instance random.

the functions are in the engine content so you’ll need to check the ‘show engine content’ checkbox to find them.

if you want the grass to pop in instead of fade in you can modify the camera fade function.

edit: figured out how the per instance fade amount works, it gives you a value from 0-1 based on the cull distance you give your foliage and if you don’t set a specific min or max cull distance it defaults to 1. The actual culling of meshes seems to happen in batches and the size of the batch seems to be somewhat related to the brush size. I’m thinking in your vid your using a spheremask and not culling the meshes? In which case you may not be aware where to find the culling setting to allow per instance fade amount to work. The cull setting is here:

So you could do something like this with the per instance fade.

Your fade in effect is perfect, i’ll mark as solved thanks.