Extremely basic question, but how do I color things?

I’m trying to color a wall I created. However, I just can’t seem to do it, no matter what I try. What is the trick to this?

when you say colour things do you mean apply a texture? if you do it depends on how you made the wall. If you made your wall using UE4’s tools you need to create a material with a texture (unless you just want a plain colour) in it and then you can just drag the material onto the wall. If your wall is a static mesh you will need to create UV’s and apply a material in you modelling software and then import it to UE4, create a material and then apply it to the static mesh.

hope that helps:)

Thank you for the response. I made a wall and all I want to do is paint it blue. So, judging by what I am reading, it is best to import it from another source?

In your content browser, click New->Material. Double click it.

In the material editor, right click on the graph. Type “Constant3”. Hit Enter.

Double click the black box inside the node. Choose a color. Hit OK.

Click on the pin on the right side of the color, and drag the wire into the Base Color pin on the material.

Save and close.

Drag the material from the content browser onto your object.

Further information on materials.

Create a material, right click in the material editor window and type in 3 Vector, and select the 3 Vector node from the list. Double click on the Vector node, use the panel to get a nice blue color, and select okay. Now, connect the top most node from the vector node, to the base color node.

From there, just drag and drop that material onto the wall - you should be set!

Well, I attempted to upload a blue brick wall. Now the pattern is repeating like this. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Imgur

Well - that’s a little bit different than just painting the wall blue; the model will have to be UV Mapped so that the image is correctly mapped to the proper coordinates of the mesh.
Here’s an article about it: Unwrapping UVs for Lightmaps | Unreal Engine Documentation
And here’s one specifically for Blender if that’s the program you use: Blender 3D: Noob to Pro/UV Map Basics - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

For certain things, UV mapping or unwrapping is extremely easy - it mostly depends on the model and its complexity - but you can find tutorials on youtube that can walk you through the process pretty quickly.

yes it usually is better to import meshes created in modelling software for 2 main reasons, 1: you have more control over it and 2: you can optimize it better so your game runs better.

it looks like your on the right track now:)

you can adjust how the texture tiles by opening the material and adding a “texture coordinate” node, just plug it in to the pin on the left side texture node and then change the tiling settings. if you want to tile textures so you have higher resolutions in your game really you should try to use proper tiling textures that have been made to join up so you cant see the edges.