Exporting from Xgen to Unreal with Root UVs

Hey All,
I am reaching out the community and other artists because I am currently struggling to export out my xgen groom to Unreal with Root Uvs. I am currently in the process of creating a groom for a raccoon, as you can see it below, but I do not have the control needed to accurately create the coloring of the raccoon groom as it stand right now.

I have tried two of the workarounds that I have seen online but neither were able to create the root UVs for the hair.

The first work around I used to create the UVs is the one listed by the Unreal devs themselves. The simple_hair_uv.py workflow. This workflow requires bringing the alembic back into Maya with all of the curves drawn out, the only problem being that because this is a groom of an animal there are too many curves for Maya to handle, or at the very least my computer to handle, meaning that the script never completes because Maya freezes after attempting to run the script.

The second work around I have tried is also from the Epic team and uses the CMD to run Maya’s “mayapy.exe” along with the alembic_for_grooms app. While, this workflow seems promising in that it seems to be able to at least create the root UVs, unreal does not like the file because it seems that in the process of running the command it creates an additional curveID and Unreal will not import in an .abc that has a group with no curves.

I am really enjoying developing the character in Unreal and want to keep working on it but as of right now, beyond obviously improving the groom itself I do not have the color control that I need to solve the issue. I was wondering if the Unreal dev team or the community have found any ways to solve the creation of rootUVs in xgen grooms that can be exported to Unreal for their system? Any help would be great!

Cheers,

You can find answers in this video =)

I ran into this problem as well, I have a groom with around 1 million strands. I followed the epic documentation to apply the root uv using the Maya python script that’s provided in the docs. Maya also “froze” for me while following the steps but I noticed that a single core on my cpu was still under full load so I just left it and eventually it completed successfully. Maya was frozen on my computer for around 48 hours… but it eventually did work. i also noticed that it completely maxed out my ram at several points during this process, I have 32 gb ram. If you can I would recommend splitting your groom into sections of about 300k strands then the whole process will go smoothly without Maya locking up for a ridiculous amount of time but if that’s not possible you can just wait. I just let it go over a weekend when I wasn’t using my computer for work anyways.

Hi ShepperdsHook! I had the same exact issue, further complicated by the fact that I was using Groomable Splines instead of normal xgen-core guides. I found artofcharly’s videos extremely helpful, but still wasn’t able to get any of the three options he presented past the final export stages–they would always hang for one reason or another. If you’re still having this issue I can walk you through what I did for my project–it basically involves running one of the developer scripts charly provides only up to the point where rootUV attrs are created, then vanilla-alembic-exporting the curves for further processing in Houdini (or another alembic editor that handles massive point counts better than maya does).

And you can find many answers here - Charly 3D Tutors: Unreal Engine 4 - Groom Plugin Alembic Hair: Q&A

And you can find many answers here - Charly 3D Tutors: Unreal Engine 4 - Groom Plugin Alembic Hair: Q&A

Hi my name is koorosh I’m working on a character to bring from maya to unreal
this character(her name is amara) she has fully grown furry body like a cheetah my problem is i need to make sure her hair(groom) matches the texture of her body(skin) because she needs to have dots on her body
I exported the her gxen hair with the least script u had in your tutorial and made sure the groom has the same axis as the character in the engine then i created a master material(master hair material) then i imported her body texture to to the material of the groom
i investigated some further and to see if the tiling is correct but i have low experience with maya

does the exported groom has the same UV as her body?
is there another way to fix this ?
i would really appreciate some help

If you’re still having this issue I can walk you through what I did for my project >> Could you please help me here ?
Can I get that script which creates the Root UV attr ?