Excluding objects from post process depth of field

Hello ladies and gents,
I’ve been searching on and off for months on how to mask objects out of the post process volume’s built-in functions like bloom and DOF. The closest I found was [this][1]

but it seems to deal more with masking objects out of post process materials rather than the built-in functions of the post process volume.
I have discovered the separate translucency workaround, but I’m trying to find a way that does not entail making all the materials on my objects set to translucent.
I’m working with custom depth stencils, and this is what I have so far:

Now, if only I could replace the red color node with the scene’s original (pre-DOF) render. Such is the line of reasoning that I’m pursuing. I would greatly appreciate the help of someone more knowledgeable on post processing than I.

Did some experimentation and found out that my approach might be wrong. Even if I were to project pre-DOF renders onto the custom depth mask, the object would ignore blending order and would be rendered in front of objects that it should be behind. So far, still have not found a way to omit opaque objects from DOF. Best bet is still to set material to translucent and enable separate translucency.

Hello, got the same problem here, can you share the the separate translucency workaround, thanks