EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffff

Keep getting this crash while using Unreal Editor. Any pointers?

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffff

Crash file

You’re right! As soon as my level gets just a little complicated, it crashes like every 2-5 min. Any pointers as to what might be wrong with my system? I’ve already done so many driver updates, rollbacks, whatever.

4 / 5 of your questions are about crashing. Not saying that UE4 does not crash, I crash too, once, twice a week maybe. Sometimes it’s all good for a month.

Perhaps you should consider looking into the overall health of your system. What you’re experiencing may have little to do with UE4’s stability. Or maybe you’re running some experimental features.

Thank you so much! I will do as advised.

it crashes like every 2-5 min

This is worrying, unless you experience this in UE4 only.

Apart from virus scans, driver updates and maybe a [CCleaner][1] run, I’d perform the 2 following checks (even if the crashes affect UE4 only)

• Check Disk: hit Win+X buttons and run Command Prompt (Admin), type chkdsk c: /f /r /x where c is the drive you want to check. It will ask you for permission to run it outside Windows since the /x param request the drive to be dismounted - you will want to agree here. It will look like this:

309209-admicommand.jpg

You may want to repeat for another (all) drive. Unlike the memory test below, this can actually fix a lot of issues rather than simply diagnose them. The /f param attempts to fix errors, while /r helps isolate bad sectors so they can be no longer written to and cause more issue.

Do the above, keep working, if the crashes still occur, try the below:

• run [mem test][3] - it’s a small application that will place a program on a USB stick. You then boot your PC from that stick, it will scan RAM, this will take some time. This operation is performed outside of the Windows OS as ALL memory needs to be accessible for read / write ops. If the system’s memory is faulty, crashes like this are really hard to track and there are no real fixes. If the scan tells you the memory is faulty, you will need to replace all or some memory. Since you’re running a healthy 32GB, you can remove a stick and redo the scan to find out which stick is faulty. It’s an arduous task.
1 Like

Hi!

I am also running into this issue, but I wondered: shouldnt the packaged project run on other pcs if a possible faulty ram or drive is the issue on the editor pc?

I am just looking to find a suitable solution to my issue, but since the project is giving FATAL ERROR and the “Exception thrown at 0x00007FF63E08798D in LEVIATHAN_SLIM-Win64-Shipping.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x000002DCB2F30000.” on other pcs as well, I can probably forget a hardware error?

Your crash file link is broken. Anyway this error is always about pointing to data that is not accessable or non existing. It’s probably a programming error where you created the bug through a pointer or reference.

It’s highly unlikely it is anything else. You should post the full log and code if such things happen. If the problem is not in there only then should you think of other causes and start again with other logs, like the system OS error logs and antivirus logs.

If it were a hardware error like faulty RAM you would be bluescreening the entire PC on memory errors. Even then testing it is not a quick scan and swapping to new cards is expensive but easier to do. Without further information any alterations to your system like cleaning / rollbacks / scans are guesswork and more probable to lead to new problems.

I will give the same advice. It’s highly unlikely ram is broken on both PCs. You might simply not be allowed to write to that memory or made the mistake in the code.

1 Like

That sounds interesting, may I ask on “where” in the code my issue may lie? I only worked in blueprints, would it be wise to just delete blueprint actors and level blueprint edits and built after every change to see if my issue persists or is there are more efficient way? thank you very much for the comment, its a bit reassuring to hear that at least my initial idea of hardware issue related crashes might be misleading.
(and I guess this here is the full error code, I dont see anything else from the crash window: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll"))

Don’t start deleting things. Make a backup before you do something.

That error code and stack doesn’t tell anything, but that the issue is related to RHI (your renderer like direct x). You should get a detailed error and even file / line of where the error happened once you install engine symbols.

1 Like

Thanks for the advise, we did that and my friend was able to read more into the error messages and symbols we downloaded; he suspects that the renderthread is overloading and shutting down, so we optimized the scene and also got rid of lumen. My pc is also much quieter while playing and so far, hopefully I dont jinx it, no crashes. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes