EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000 with RVT painting on Landscape

Hello, I use the asset Openland with which I never had problems under 4.26. (Releases · GDi4K/unreal-openland · GitHub). I use the asset because of RVT support / blending.

Under 4.27 the editor crashes immediately when I want to paint something in the fresh demo map. I had the problem on Windows 10 UE 4.27, UE5 and now on a fresh Windows 11 and fresh UE4.27. I am unfortunately too much of a noob and UE fresher to find the bug. On the Openland community, no one can reproduce the crash. pls help :slight_smile:

Hardware:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB RAM SSD, AMD Radeon RX 5700XT

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

UE4Editor_Engine!URuntimeVirtualTextureComponent::Invalidate() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Components\RuntimeVirtualTextureComponent.cpp:96]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!`anonymous namespace’::DirtyRuntimeVirtualTextureForLandscapeArea() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\LandscapeEditor\Private\LandscapeEdModePaintTools.cpp:85]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!FLandscapeToolStrokePaint::Apply() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\LandscapeEditor\Private\LandscapeEdModePaintTools.cpp:308]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!FLandscapeToolBase::BeginTool() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\LandscapeEditor\Private\LandscapeEdModeTools.h:1411]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!FEdModeLandscape::InputKey() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\LandscapeEditor\Private\LandscapeEdMode.cpp:1893]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!ULegacyEdModeWrapper::InputKey() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\Tools\LegacyEdMode.cpp:194]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorModeTools::InputKey() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorModeManager.cpp:1334]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorViewportClient::InputKey() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorViewportClient.cpp:2744]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FLevelEditorViewportClient::InputKey() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\LevelEditorViewport.cpp:2870]
UE4Editor_LevelEditor!FViewportClient::InputKey() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\UnrealClient.h:814]
UE4Editor_Engine!FSceneViewport::OnMouseButtonDown() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Slate\SceneViewport.cpp:482]
UE4Editor_Slate!SViewport::OnMouseButtonDown() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Widgets\SViewport.cpp:214]
UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route >() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:378]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerDownEvent() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4717]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonDownEvent() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4667]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseDown() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:4567]
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2213]
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:2698]
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:1881]
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsApplication.cpp:905]
user32
user32
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore!FWindowsPlatformApplicationMisc::PumpMessages() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ApplicationCore\Private\Windows\WindowsPlatformApplicationMisc.cpp:125]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:4851]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:178]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:137]
UE4Editor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:273]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:320]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\agent_work\5\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

have you found a workaround? having similar issue…

It works just fine in 4.26 but not in 4.27 for odd reasons. To prevent the constant crashing when you try to paint to a landscape layer, you have to remove the virtual texture asset/s from the landscape. I would recommend making a switch parameter that gives you access to your non-RVT attribute as well as your RVT attribute. That way you can still visualize what you paint on your layers. When you’re done painting, reassign the RVT asset/s and turn on RVT.

Remember to save after you’ve finished painting.