Exception Access Violation - Has Root Motion Source

Hey all,

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around this crash report. I’d appreciate if anyone could point me to the right direction.

For context, I’m playing around with making a custom Character Movement Component. I’m really not sure what I changed to get this error.

Error occurs when I start the simulation in the Editor.

I appreciate the help, thanks!

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000cf8

UnrealEditor_Engine!FRootMotionSourceGroup::HasActiveRootMotionSources() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\GameFramework\RootMotionSource.cpp:1317]
UnrealEditor_Engine!ACharacter::GetReplicatedCustomConditionState() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Character.cpp:1592]
UnrealEditor_NetCore!UE::Net::Private::FNetPropertyConditionManager::FindOrCreatePropertyTracker() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Net\Core\Private\Net\Core\PropertyConditions\PropertyConditions.cpp:75]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UNetDriver::FindOrCreateRepChangedPropertyTracker() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\NetDriver.cpp:6501]
UnrealEditor_Engine!AActor::CallPreReplication() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Actor.cpp:1600]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UNetDriver::ServerReplicateActors_BuildConsiderList() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\NetDriver.cpp:4469]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UNetDriver::ServerReplicateActors() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\NetDriver.cpp:5278]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UNetDriver::TickFlush() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\NetDriver.cpp:955]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UNetDriver::InternalTickFlush() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\NetDriver.cpp:1603]
UnrealEditor_Engine!TBaseUObjectMethodDelegateInstance<0,UNetDriver,void __cdecl(float),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:667]
UnrealEditor_Engine!TMulticastDelegate<void __cdecl(float),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::Broadcast() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateSignatureImpl.inl:956]
UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorld::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\LevelTick.cpp:1675]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorEngine.cpp:1924]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdEngine.cpp:531]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5825]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:188]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:118]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:258]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:298]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [D:\a\_work\1\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll
1 Like

I’ve also been getting the same error trying to make a custom character movement component. Specifically whenever I try to change the value of a bool I defined in my custom movement cpp file. Not sure if it maybe has something to do with casting or a conflict between blueprints and c++. Sorry this isn’t a very helpful response, but if you ever do figure it out please post your solution

I had the same error. It was caused by the fact that my character movement component became None. The fix was to reparent the class to Actor then to Character and finally back to mine.