Error when compiling from VS 2015

I’m not really sure this is an upgrade-related issue but, I noticed that at least since I upgraded from 4.14.3 to 4.15 I’ve been getting errors when attempting to compile any of my projects through VS 2015, even newly created ones. If I try to compile them through the Unreal Editor though, it works just fine.

I’m compiling using Build → Build Solution (same as F7) and the problem always happens when compiling the project itself, not the engine.

I always get the two following errors:

Error XmlConfigLoader: Reading config XML failed: BuildingEscape C:\Users\Documents\Unreal Projects\BuildingEscape 4.15\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC 1

Error MSB3073 The command ““C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat” BuildingEscapeEditor Win64 Development “C:\Users\Documents\Unreal Projects\BuildingEscape 4.15\BuildingEscape.uproject” -waitmutex” exited with code -1. BuildingEscape C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 41

Has anyone been experiencing the same issue or has an idea of what I can attempt to do to fix it? It’s worth mentioning I already tried resetting my BuildConfiguration.xml by copying the default one from “C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.14\Engine\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\BuildConfiguration.xml” to “C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\UnrealBuildTool”, didn’t have any effect though.

Hello ,

I would suggest going ahead and deleting all of the stuff that can be regenerated automatically. This includes your Intermediates / Saved folders in your project, along with everything in the C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\ folder and also inside of the C:\Users\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\4.15 folder. Try regenerating your project files for your existing project and then compiling, or creating a new project to see if this may be able to fix the issues.

It wasn’t really a project specific issue, I had already tried deleting Intermediates and Saved and even tried a newly generated project and the issue persisted.

Deleting the folders you suggested got it back working somehow, though I’m still having a few problems here and there. But thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

The ones in the AppData location are not project specific and are used for the entire engine installation so if you removed those, they are likely what were causing the issue.