Error compiling the Automation Tool after updating Visual Studio today (Unreal 5.3.2)

Helped me one of the steps (or maybe both of them):

1. Rollback Visual Studio to the previous version (Introducing Visual Studio Rollback! - Visual Studio Blog)
  2. Verify engine install (Reddit - Dive into anything)

Update.
As one of simple solutions - reinstall UE 5.3.2.
Also Visual Studio files regeneration may be required with .sln, .vs, Intermediate delete. And don’t forget make project backup

1 Like

So, like @Alex_iceman and others have said, our options are to 1) download the source code for the unreal engine, fix their code, recompile it, then get on with the business of building our own game, or 2) to wait while downloading and reinstalling the older version of VS (a 5.5 GB download).

How is this acceptable? Why is the unreal engine written in such a way that updates to the IDE cause our own projects, which compiled before, to now fail to compile?

2 Likes

It happens from time to time. Usually small issues like this (a missed null check here, and a wrong param here) probably. My guess is that it’s slightly “bad” code that probably passes on old compilers but fails on newer compilers that have better safety checks.

pls merge the patches and release, this is a frequently met error.

WORKED YES YES YES THANK YOU MAN YOU FIXED MORE THAN ONE BUG

REALLY THANK YOU!!

1 Like

i try it now…its works . thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

Thanks to you, it was a perfect solution.

Today I gave in and updated Visual Studio, only for the problem with Automation to appear for me as well. Right now I’m using Unreal Engine 5.3.2.

Instead of updating the code for the engine, I do suggest to simply rollback to a previous version of Visual Studio if the new version isn’t absolutely needed. It is way easier and takes less time.

That is if you don’t already are using a modified version of the engine, then just add the modifications to fix the problem.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a pain to fix issues like this, but how much are you paying Epic to use this engine? Oh that is right, nothing (well unless you make $1.000.000, but at that time you should buy their support package). If you want stuff like this to be fixed with the help of their team, you have the option to pay for their support. Also no one is forcing you to use this game engine. So until you are playing them, try to keep this kind of comments to yourself, and actually post stuff to help the community.

1 Like

Thanks very much, work for me.

I haven’t had any luck with rolling back Visual Studio. I was on 17.8.3 and the only version I seem to be able to roll back to is 17.8.2, which I assume isn’t far back enough since it made no difference.

1 Like

Just got this error and the build error worked for me. Thank you!
The problem it generates was to not create new project.

Visual Studio 17.8.4 is ok

In case anyone (like me) thinks we can’t compile code… Unreal “compile button” works just fine. The only thing that is broken is building the project from visual studio…

Because I always build my projects pressing Cntrl + B in visual studio, I spent some time trying to fix this issue… while I could’ve kept working and use the compile button instead (until epic fix this problem)

UE development team is a shame.

Are you sure 17.8.4 works? Not for me

Happened to me, after renaming the whole project.
Followed this walkthrough https://unrealistic.dev/posts/rename-your-project-including-code

Can anyone let me know if Epic is planning to fix this at some point?

Thank you ! That’s really saved me !

Thank you ! ^^~ I do it .

Bot, the solution of Alexander Semenko and @DreamSworK worked for me.