Epic's low priority on GearVR and VR in general makes me sad

I hear what you guys are saying and appreciate your efforts to get more detailed info as I have learned much from reading this forum. Sinoth even answered one of my questions in the livestream chat regarding the c++ class for blueprints, without which I would probably be studying Unity docs right now, so thank you, Sinoth. The livestream was helpful for me, yet admittedly I am new to the Gear VR.

It sounds like the document itself will be a compilation of information rather than just a Getting Started guide. However in depth or accurate, I respect the time and effort from everyone involved with making it, both from those at Epic and from here within the community, and thank you.

Hey Marcel, thanks for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing.

I’m sorry for any confusion, let me see if I can clear a few things up for you based on your feedback.

All questions that were asked during the live stream where also passed on to the VR development team here at Epic. They’ve been good to correct any of my inaccuracies and posted up here. Sorry bout any inconsistencies, this should clear anything up!

I spend a lot of my personal time reading up on all things VR as well as closely following the VR forums here. After reading the forums it looked like a number of people were having lots of issues getting everything set up and running, so we decided that we’d make that the goal of this training stream - to get people up and working with the GearVR headset.

I should have been more specific, I meant that it can work as there’s nothing keeping a developer from using the available SDKs to implement the feature. There are items that aren’t plug and play straight out of the box, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not a possibility. As we look for ways to improve UE4, it’s good to get this sort of feedback on missing out-of-the-box workflows that the community needs. If this is something that you feel is in need of improvement, feel free to drop us a line in the Feedback for Epic forum so we can have a look!

I wasn’t terribly sure on the spot for what the number was, though I did a quick performance check and the FPS template is running at a solid 60 FPS. I am aware that you need 60 FPS for each eye to ensure that the use does not experience and simulation sickness.

The focus of the stream wasn’t necessarily for general Android development, but for getting started up specifically for GearVR. The Android section of the forums might be able to shed some better light on gamepad support, however!

This is the first I’m hearing of this, however I’ll make sure to follow up with our VR dev team and get some clarification. When speaking with Samsung, I left under the impression that the dial adjusts the IPD and focus at the same time.

Deploying over Wifi is extremely slow and because this livestream was focused on getting people up and running, I decided to not bring this up as I wanted as few obstacles to success as possible. You are correct and can deploy to your phone this way, but it is around 4-5x slower than doing it over the USB cable. Either way is totally fine, I can see upsides to both methods in a production environment.

While I might not have the in-depth knowledge that the engineers have, our documentation was the basis of this presentation. I undoubtedly had some incorrect information during the live stream. I have already addressed this by having the VR team respond to the questions, which you can find here. Hopefully that can set some of your concerns straight and helps answer any questions you have.

I’m sorry that the livestream didn’t meet your expectations… I have have heard from many that the explanation did help them get over the issues that they were having and were able to successfully deploy to the GearVR. We should, however, look into the possibility of getting our VR development team on to answer some of the heavier hitting questions regarding the device.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Thank you for your time in clearing up some of the issues surrounding the stream, Sam. I’d like to reiterate that we do appreciate the time you’ve put into both the Stream and the Documentation. It was a great stream to help get the brand new people up to scratch in creating a project, I just think that specifically everyone here in this thread - they’re already moving onto the harder hurdles.

On a side note :stuck_out_tongue:
We need that MSAA fix as quick as possible. The jaggies on this device are making it near impossible to develop for without getting a headache! Maybe you could pass this query onto one of the team members? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again Sam!

• Sythen.

IPD and MSAA Patch

Hey Sam, this is something you can clarify by just taking a close look at the device what the dial does. It just moves the display further away/closer and thus just changes the focal point. The lenses are completly fixed and dont change the distance to each other.

Also i am really interested in the MSAA patch too.

Hi Nick,

thanks a lot for sharing the GearVR Template. That saved us a lot R&D time :slight_smile:

While i was running the template without modifications on my Gear VR i noticed that the distortion/wrap of the viewports (left/right) doesn’t work right/doesn’t fit the lenses of the gear vr.
If i pan my head left to right, i noticed that 100% straight objects like boxes have curves/bend a bit in the middle.
That effect is visible with UE4 APKs/projects (4.7.4) only and never noticed on any Un*ty samples.

Don’t know how to capture the issue as image, hopefully my explaination is good enough.
any else has the problem or an idea how to fix it?

best regards,

The Patch might not make it out soon. However you can do this your self by doing the following.

Can confirm that this fix makes Gear VR look awesome.
We really appreciate getting the fix out to use Sam & JJ, you’ve really saved a lot of hair pulling!

Thanks!
Sythen.

That was all JJ…I just made sure to mention it in every meeting I am in…They probably did it just to shut me up…

Well we hugely appreciate the effort on both parts. I recommend avoiding JJ temporarily to allow him to gain his sanity back :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you, Sam!

Yeah, the above 2x MSAA patch really makes a HUGE difference on the GearVR. Definitely worth the effort involved to compile your own UE4. Just don’t spend time debugging the changes if you happen to forget to add your OSIG file to the new build :slight_smile:

Thanks a bunch, JJ and Sam.

On the UE4 question hub (Exynos GearVR Support - XR Development - Epic Developer Community Forums) it was suggested to update to a newer 5.0.1 firmware from past mid march. After doing that UE4 works on my Exynos Gear VR.

Did anyone try out this gpu=3 setting? By engine config.ini does that mean the “DefaultEngine.ini” file in the Config subfolder of my project???

I’ve given this a shot, with a 5-8 fps gain :slight_smile:

Hey,

Can someone please create an end to end GearVR game development tutorial (including creation of materials and textures for GearVR)? I have been trying for days to get my materials and textures to publish on GearVR but somehow it never works.

In the first person template, using M_Wood_Walnut material on the walls, doesn’t render properly. Posting on the forum, reddit, youtube etc hasn’t elicited any response.

I hope someone here can help me out! Thanks :slight_smile:

Don’t use any of the epic starter materials and props - they are not optimized for mobile (as it says when you click to the include the content :wink: ). Read through all the android/mobile optimization tips available for UE4 - all of those are applicable for GearVR :wink:

Can anyone please upload the template project for gear vr again? I can’t access the google drive, sadly, and i need it quite a bit.

+1

I’d like to access Google Drive too.

FYI: I uploaded a 4.10 converted version of that example project here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=16018475499405413436

Thank you so much!

Hello Nick,i am Gear VR developer,i use UE4 4.10.4,but i find a engine problem,i pack thrid person template,i meet a problem,on game run about 30s,screen appear stop rendering,then i use UE4 4.9.2 and UE4 4.11.1,but no use,can u provide solve for me,i am crazy…