Epic's low priority on GearVR and VR in general makes me sad

Thank you Nick! I can’t wait to hear your next update. :slight_smile:

For the VR Template, it’s something we’re looking at doing. We made a stab at the project settings, but there’s more work that needs to be done in order to modify the project settings templates for VR. Currently, copying the INI settings out of the Oculus Connect slides we posted at Unreal Engine guides and white papers - Unreal Engine is the quickest way to get a good starting point!

Thx Nick for checking with Oculus for us … did you get any further information? I guess epic will need to do something their side as well since the other engines are working? If you need any help getting gear vr working with the work around in the meantime let us know! :smiling_face:

Hey JJ, can you get on creating this guide quick? Or giving us some sight into where we need to modify for this workaround.
Thanks!

• Sythen.

As Oculus and Samsung promised the since the lollipop March 13th Update:

& added to the official oculus supported list:

https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/204113096-Samsung-Gear-VR-Innovator-Edition-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-Compatibility

Can we get UE4 support now? Otherwise all UE4 stuff developed for the mobile VR jam won’t be working for half the Note 4 devices :frowning:

Hi all,

Did everyone happen to see yesterday’s Twitch stream for GearVR training?

Yes, a bit disappointing to be honest. All the info presented is already available in this thread. Would have been better presented by someone who knows the VR implementation like , but I’m sure he is a busy man.

John Carmack tweeted the following today (https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/583648614683172864):

Please, for those of us using UE4 for the Mobile Jam and want to make sure it looks good (better than Unity!), can we have access to the MSAA code changes? I have no problem integrating source into the engine. JJ?

Thanks!

• Dave

Sure did. I posted some follow up questions in the event thread as that is where my virtual head model question was answered. https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?65092-Twitch-Training-Stream-Up-and-Running-with-Gear-VR-March-31st-2015 Would be great if someone could look into all of our Gear VR queries, here and elsewhere. We’re on a deadline for the Mobile VR Jam! :cool:

Thanks!

• Dave

Thanks for documenting the whole Gear VR thing and thanks for making a Twitch broadcast!

I really really wanted to take this as a positive signal - But how much time had Sam to prepare himself? He answered so many questions wrong that we now have a lot of myths out there. I wanted to post again when there is time to do some backslapping for the progress. I did not want to come here and cry around again, but I think the Q&A round in this stream was really contraproductive.

Looks like Sam did not even had time to read the Gear VR manual and Oculus Mobile SDK documentation, questions scratching the surface were answered with hearsay and superficial knowledge =(

Some examples from memory:

• Sam said something about it packages after executing the install script, but actually it installs the package.
  • Guy asked about the look trough camera - He answered he has to look it up but should work, while is not really a good thing to do. Error: Not supported at all without a lot of hacking of the android java Template and the jni interface.
  • Someone asked about the frames per seconds in the FPS Template and Sam answered about 30 FPS as if it was totally ok. - Sam did not even read the forum entries about the Gear VR performance problems and the other problems at all. Maybe he did not even know about the high frame rate requirements of VR at all?
  • Another user asked about the Samsung Gamepad and MOGA Pro compatibility. - Sam had no clue and has never heared about a word like “MOGA Pro” (maybe the most widespread Android Bluetooth Gamepad)… And no this compatibility is not solved, the code still does not support the default Samsung Gamepad, in fact nothing has changed!
  • Sam told that the “button” on top of the Gear VR would change the IPD - Actually it changes the distance from lens to screen, to adjust the sharpnes for moderate near- and farsightedness. The IPD has to be changed in Software.
  • Sam explained you have to take the Note 4 out of the Gear VR and put it back in physically to install your application and you need to repeat this over and over again - That’s simply not true, the Oculus_Mobile_v0.5.0_SDK_Documentation.pdf describes how to do it via WiFi as the prefered way on page 75-76, if you set this up the script will install via WiFi without any problems. After that you can start the application via adb shell am start -n [Package]/[Activity]
  • … At this point (~25min) I stopped watching the video, because this proofed Sam did not read the docs and the rest of the time will go on and on like this (I hope I am wrong).

It is great that we will have Gear VR documentation soon. But if the documentation is as inaccurate as the Q&A session here, then it will make a lot of peoples time harder instead of easier.

Also I believe there was no coding work done on Gear VR Problems since January, since there is no movement in git on these topics. All the problems from my initial post are still in place. Yes there is a template now, but it is only running 60FPS thanks to it’s ultra basic graphics without the absolutely mandatory 2xAA.

I am maybe the biggest fan of the whole UE4+GearVR idea, think alone about the educational VR experiences that Matinee enables. But I am sad as I have to conclude: At this point in time I see no way UE4 could be used for the Oculus VR Jam this month or any commercial Gear VR Applikation any time soon. I also see no intends to have a schedule for solving the problems, the only progress is in documentation (what is good, if it were not the only progress). Actually it looks like Morpheus performance is maximum priority instead, when I look at the commits.

If I am wrong, please let me know, because there is nothing I’d like to hear more. Tell me you are working with 1-3 Devs on the technical Gear VR problems on a daily basis and you made my day.

@Sam: I know you had a tight time schedule and you are no dev, so it is not you to blame. A developer who is actively working on the Gear VR implementation should have been at your side for this Q&A. But there were other priorities obviously. That’s company politics sigh

Man, I think you guys are being a little harsh with Sam, don’t you? He is putting in the time and research to try and help us so that we even have a chance with the Oculus Mobile VR Jam rather than just leaving us out there entirely on our own.

I’m not saying that everything is fine as it is and that we shouldn’t ask for better Gear VR support from Epic. I’m just saying that maybe a “thank you” from time to time, a few words of encouragement and a bit of understanding wouldn’t suck. And that we shouldn’t expect a miracle or a last minute save, unless we make it ourselves.

My problem with the stream, is that as an ‘official training support’ stream from Epic, it seems like Sam had only just touched on the basics of creating a Gear VR project. He was unsure about all other related questions. Most of us who are eagerly waiting a response from someone at Epic in relation to Gear VR are already at this stage. We’re not saying that we don’t appreciate the efforts Sam has gone to create documentation and the stream - however, our issue is we need someone like JJ and Nick to answer the relevant questions regarding rendering on the Gear VR (MSAA - please get us a guide to this!).

It does seem like the stream was made in effort to attempt to ‘quiet’ the community a little.

• Sythen.

It is getting pretty close to crunch time. I’d like some help in the MSAA area as well as currently I am struggling to keep a steady 60fps so I want to know what kind of performance impact it will do.

I stand corrected - after testing with the latest lollipop update UE4 is now working on Exynos devices! Very happy to be at least able to test UE4 on the gear vr now :slight_smile:

That GearVR twitch stream did more harm that good. I would recommend deleting it. The effort was appreciated, but the info contained was worthless.

Ahhh come on guys VR is a gimmick, sooner this passes the better :frowning:

Agreed. I’m glad I was there to answer questions in the chat. When the stream started out with him explaining the “IPD slider” I knew we were in for a ride…

The personal computer was a gimmick. Fifty three years later we are now discussing virtual reality support for a slim rectangle the size of my hand that was originally designed to handle telecommunications.

It’s funny how technology can evolve over time. A gimmick from the 60’s is the sole reason we are even having this conversation.

I think once you have felt presence, you are a believer; for me this was the only time ever, a buzzword lived up to the hype :smiley:

To the new kids on the block that have entered calling VR a ‘Gimmick’ - jump to another thread. This is here for those who actually want to get their questions answered, we’d appreciate it if there wasn’t any clutter! :slight_smile: