With Unreal Engine 5 on the horizon, we are focusing on how to empower and support you better, and build resources that will continue to serve you for years to come.
While we are discussing and researching all kinds of things, which we’ll share in due time, right now Amanda and I would love to get your input on AnswerHub.
Below, we’ve outlined all the details to give you some perspective on what we are working with and thinking through. This is a long post, but it is important, so buckle up!
We launched AnswerHub during the early days of UE4. For UE5, we will be migrating away from the existing platform.
- There are some technical reasons for this, mostly relating to flexibility behind the scenes, and the degree of support we have access to.
- We worry about the fragmented channels—we see users post and answer topics across both the forums and AnswerHub, but sometimes struggle to get replies or find the answers they’re seeking. Other things like recognizing and supporting contributions are harder too.
- Migrate the current content from AnswerHub over to a new Q&A section that would run on the same platform as the forums (Discourse).
- Then, in the future, integrate the Q&A section, as well as the forums, into a larger community experience, bringing together the disparate pieces to make it much easier for everyone to find and share information, projects, and so forth.
We need your input—We see two paths forward:
Option A - Merge Q&A into the forums
With this approach, we’d migrate current AnswerHub content directly into the forums. Users would be able to select whether their post is a “discussion” or “question” upon creation, and allow the OP to accept a reply as the answer. This would leverage Discourse’s Solved Plugin, plus some additional customization for filtering questions and discussions.
- One stop for everything. Both AnswerHub and the forums are already used to post questions to and look for info. This solution would streamline pages and make it easier to find information—it’s all in the same place.
- People are (hopefully) more likely to answer things or participate in discussions since the topics would be altogether and have more visibility.
- Easier for us to manage (single ecosystem)
- May help reduce duplicate posts
- Easier for us and all of you to recognize key contributors in the community
- Minimal customization of the actual Q&A experience.
- Less Q&A-specific functionality (upvoting replaced with likes, use of tags over dropdowns). It would primarily feel like a forum experience.
- May not feel like a dedicated space to quickly jump in and get answers.
- Volume of questions may overwhelm topics or dissuade participation.
Option B - Migrate into a new space, but connected at account level
Migrate AnswerHub content to the same platform as we use for the forums (Discourse), leveraging Discourse’s Solved Plugin, but hosted as a separate instance. The two different instances would interconnect on an account level, and through other currently planned future community features.
- More flexibility for us to individually shape the forum and Q&A experiences, which could help it feel like a more traditional Q&A experience.
- Easier for beginners or people just looking for answers to understand where to turn to for finding help.
- Does not disrupt other activities that happen on the forum such as group discussions, showcases, feedback, and so forth.
- Discussion and Q&A would continue to exist in two separate places, leading to potential confusion on where to ask or look for info.
- More complex behind the scenes.
What we’d like to hear from you
- Which of these options sounds most appealing to you?
- Do you like the idea of the discussion and Q&A spaces being combined or would you prefer they were separate, and why?
- Do you feel like if we combined them it would be too noisy? Would that be okay as long as we have strong filtering options between discussions and questions?
- What features do you feel are essential for a Q&A experience? (Tags, filters, voting, threading, etc.)
- Do you feel that Discourse’s Solved Plugin would meet your needs?
Thanks so much!
- Option A - Merge Q&A into the forums
- Option B - Migrate into a separate space, but connected at account level
- Something else
- Don’t know/Either works