Enlanda Project

The Enlanda project arose from the idea of creating a prototype of another world, which will be based on the desires of the one who creates it, not on the laws that everything that exists must follow…

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzkJgitaBQ

Final project build - Unreal Engine 5.2

The project started in January 2022, although preparations for it began in the fall of 2021.

Currently (early 2024) the universe includes 5 “islands” and one “satellite”. Island names:

1. Izurion, 2M triangles, 1M vertices

2. Lemuria, 3M triangles, 1.5M vertices

3. Pink Dreams, 3M triangles, 1.5M vertices

4. Macedonia, 340K triangles, 170K vertices

5. Sun, 4M triangles, 2M vertices

6. Alexander - name of Isurion’s satellite, 2.2M triangles, 1.1M vertices

All 3D objects were created by me using various 3D modeling programs. Automatically generated objects were not used.

All textures in the project were drawn by me “by hand” using various computer programs. No automatically generated images, scanned images, or camera images were used. The maximum time for creating one texture is 5 months. The size of most textures in the project is 16 X 16K. Basically these are various masks.

Artificial intelligence was not used at any stage of creation. I hope in the future I will be able to use artificial intelligence which I can independently teach the skills and techniques of using 3D programs. This would be very helpful in the project.

3 Likes

Hello!

I will be glad to questions, suggestions…

Hi there @mr.Necturus,

Hope you’re well and having a great week so far :slight_smile:

I love how this almost feels like a dream. Something you could never explain but has such a strong feeling behind it. The use of color and the vibrancy of those colors are done so beautifully. What inspired this project and what was your “process” for creating it? :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

My detailed answer will probably take us beyond the scope of 3D art and beyond the scope of art in general. I’ll try to limit myself to them. Although this applies to everything else in our lives. :slight_smile:

At some point in my life, I began to realize that when drawing or modeling, I too often follow my fears, and not so often my desires. Here are a few examples that motivate me to do things I don’t want to do:

1. What will those whose opinion you trust say when they look at your work?
  2. You need to draw and model so that people want to love your work.
  3. If you do it this way, people will not understand you, will pass you by and you will remain outside the mainstream.
  4. What you want to do is ridiculous and uninteresting.
  5. Although you want to do exactly this, you repeat yourself. This is bad for…

I noticed that by following my fears, I did not enjoy what I was doing. Although it seems that fears tell you useful information. And vice versa, when I “let go of the reins” and forgot about fears, following only my desires, I received great pleasure from the work itself and from what came out of it.

This is the method that I now try to follow. Listen to my desires, which actually come from nowhere, and be able to distinguish them from my fears.

In fact, it is deeper than just a method of creating works of art.

1 Like

@ PresumptivePanda Several years ago, even before the Enlando project, a journalist wanted to write an article about my pen and ink drawings. And when I, in response to his question, tried to talk about my “method”, he probably decided that I was either joking or mocking. We had no further contact.
But I speak completely sincerely. This “method” is very easy to describe, and it even seems so obvious that everyone follows it and there is no point in talking about it.
But as I have seen in practice, it is extremely difficult to follow it. In my entire life, I have met only a few people who seemed to have an innate tendency to follow their desires and ignore their fears. Most people, both in art and in life, follow mainly their fears. And it’s very rare for desires when they turn out to be very strong.

But there’s probably still a chance that I’m just going crazy and I’m talking about something that can only be discussed with a psychiatrist or, in extreme cases, a psychologist. But I will still take the risk, because I think it is very important, both for myself and for others. :slight_smile:

And AI, which is hot on the heels of artists, will soon show the importance of what I am talking about.

1 Like

Hi again @mr.Necturus,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and share a bit of your passion. Your simple method of " Listen to my desires, which actually come from nowhere, and be able to distinguish them from my fears." is anything but simple. It takes self reflection and the ability to look at yourself honestly - which is when true art is created :slight_smile:

Art method aside, I truly hope to see more of your work around here. It’s always nice being able to experience someone’s emotions through their profession.

1 Like

@ PresumptivePanda Thank you!

I hope to continue working on this project creating entities for this new world until this desire leaves me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t wait to see what you come up with next then :slight_smile:

1 Like

A M A Z I N G.

It deserves its own sound track.

1 Like

Thank you from my heart! Hope one day it will have. :slight_smile:

Wow. This is incredibly beautiful. I can’t imagine how much total time you’ve put into this art.

AI would certainly be a huge time saver, but I’m sure the skills you’ve in this process must be invaluable.

I’m not sure if this art is part of a larger project, or game, but I’m excited to watch what you do!

1 Like

I would love to create something like this myself. But I’m no 3D Modeler :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’d like to train an AI to take on most of the technical work, and even help me come up with creative solutions quickly. I think this will require a special kind of understanding to arise between us. I will have to figure out how to teach him to understand what I want. This will be no less interesting process than the creation of an AI universe. :slight_smile:

Regarding this project. It can become anything in the future: a game, a virtual universe, part of a social network, a platform for music shows…
At some point, a well-made virtual space will be in demand.

1 Like

If you’re interested, I can upload the project to Dropbox. And you will be able to get to know him better. Just promise not to distribute it yet. :slight_smile: I’ve been thinking about making it open source, but haven’t decided yet.
Send me your email to mr.necturus@gmail.com if you decide to download.

Very Generous of You @mr.Necturus. I’m referring my lack of modeling skills. I prefer to Kitbash with existing meshes. I can do simple polygon primitive but that’s it. Your organic modeling/Material process interests me. Perhaps you can teach me before the AI. LOL. Amazing Work.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I think that for a person, the desire to learn something is quite enough. But indeed, there is one program that you can learn to use very, very quickly. And sometimes it will allow you to do things that other programs are almost impossible to do. I used it to create some objects. This is Adobe Medium. Medium Get Started
It is free, but you need Oculus VR helmet to use it.
I wish you good luck with everything. :slight_smile:

Ah. VR Sculpting. Thanks for reference. Found another VR Sculpting App.

Optional

Although not sculpting perse, I’ve been eye-balling Tilt Brush for sometime. Planning to dev my own version of a VR 3D Painter, Sculptor, Modeler Tool (+ XPS Shooter mechanics :slight_smile: ) in UE5 one day.

I think I would really enjoy the VR approach to 3D Modeling. In fact VR would boost my attention span to do most mundane task. Reinvigorate my passion for programming. I want VR Visual Scripting.

1 Like

"
TechLord
Yes, these are great programs. But I can do all this in MAX and ZBrush. Adobe Medium operates on voxels, which is what gives me unique modeling opportunities.

1 Like