Engine Crashes with video drivers crash and reset

Hi Andrew, thanks for entering the new bug report!

If your developers will be able to fix this, would this be added to 4.9 as a hotfix or would we have to wait for 4.10?

This is currently undetermined as of now. When a fix and version are implemented I will update this post.

I currently have a R9 285 card. Do you think this is the same issue? I only ask because you specified the 380 and 390 series.

The R9 285 is the same GPU like the R9 380 while the R9 290 is the same GPU like the R9 390, the new ones just have a higher clock and more VRAM. So all issues which affect the 380/390 will also affect the 285/290.

Above I said it’s only happening in standalone for me, now it just crashed the driver in PIE, so it’s not only standalone :frowning:

Seems to happen every ~ 20 minutes to me now in PIE. Andrew, I know you just entered the bug report one day ago, is there already any update on this? It’s making UE4 quite impossible to use at the moment so please excuse my impatience :slight_smile:

Hey ,

I have done what I can to bring this issue to the attention of the devs. We are working to have this issue addressed and resolved, but I do appreciate you patience as I know this is particularly frustrating for you at this time.

Thank you,

Hey Andrew, I just would like to hear something like “The devs are working on it” instead of “We are working on having the devs working on it” :wink: I know you have done the best you can, but since I can’t ask the devs directly I have to ask you about updates regarding the issue. So, any update?

And I wonder why you have entered the bug only for the “AMD R9 380 & 390 Series”? Why have you excluded the 285/290 from the bug?

Why is it marked as resolved? :slight_smile:

The issue has been resolved as the bug has been entered and there is no further action needed. As I mentioned, we are working on a fix for this issue and it will be integrated in an upcoming release once it has been completed.

I have not excluded the 2 series cards, but this is just the title given as it was originally reported on these cards. They have been determined as related and added to the original report.

Thanks,

So, Andrew… Just for clarification… Its an UE4 bug, not an AMD driver bug? I had to give my son my 380 and I got his 280 (which does not have a driver crash). Would like to get my card back!

It was actually determined as unresolved for now as this bug is not on our side exclusively, but has to do with the AMD drivers for those cards. AMD is aware of these issues, and until they ship new drivers, not much we can do.

Thanks, so you (Epic) have told AMD about the issue? Is there anything I could do to show AMD that it’s important to me? Do you have any idea when AMD will fix this and how important this bug is to AMD?

Maybe Epic should write a blog post about this, then AMD would surely react quite fast :wink:

Yes we have notified them about the issue.

The newest AMD Beta driver seems to have fixed the issue :slight_smile:

I have the same Problem with Radeon 5770 and UE 4.9.2.
Yesterday i could work fine, today the launcher crashes with this message.
The newest Beta driver doesnt fix it here.

What I did so far:
reinstalled UE-Launcher and Engine 4.9.2,
deleted Temp Files and Derived Data,
clean removed Video Driver and installed newest AMD Beta Driver,
deleted Source, Binaries and Intermediate Files from Project and build it in Develepoment and Debug Mode with VS2013.

Any non-empty Project (and empty c++ project) crashes on editor-launch, but i can start a completly blank project.

this is a huge problem.

Hey ,

The crash you are experiencing sounds like it is unrelated to this issue. You might be experiencing a crash, but the callstack being generated could be completely different, as this issue dealt specifically with R9 2 and 3 series cards.

With that in mind, would you mind creating a new AnswerHub post for your issue, which will help not only us track but others who are experiencing the same issue.

If you are experiencing a crash or a major bug, we ask that you take a look at our How to Report Report sticky post on our Forums. It will give you all the correct instructions on how to make an official bug report on the AnswerHub, including the information needed in order to move forward with the reporting/troubleshooting process.

I was also informed that deleting the Source folder will cause some issues for any projects that were created using those source files. Deleting your Binaries, Saved, and Intermediate are okay, but if you delete your source folders it cannot generate the necessary files to run your already created projects. It will however allow you to create new projects, as you are still able to do.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thank you,

Actually, I still get crashes in PIE, but they seem to be a lot less or even completely fixed in standalone. So it’s not fixed unfortunately, only improved.

This is on AMD’s as we mentioned. The stability will likely improve as more drivers are released.

I know it’s on AMDs side, I just think I should mention it here for others who experience the same problem :slight_smile:

Since I have installed an ever newer beta driver I actually did not get any driver crash, so it might actually be fixed now.