Encoding textures stuck

How big is the level you are trying to build lighting for? For instance, if you take your objects (no lights) to a new level and then add in a single directional light set to static, how long does that take to build?

the level is the showcase for the Top Down City which is currently on special in the unreal marketplace … I dunno if its particularly big …

Did you try a single directional light set to static to see how long it took to build lighting with the assets that are in the level?

Do you mean to remove every existing light in the level first ? There are a lot. Can I just set their visibility to hidden ?

what you can do is create a new level. Then create the directional light set to static and build, see how long this takes. Then add one static mesh object, build and see how long this takes. If this doesn’t take too long, add a large number of the meshes in the project, build and see how long that takes. What it sounds like is occurring is the primary level may have a lot of static lights and you are attempting to bake all of that lighting at once, which may take a long time depending on how many lights/meshes, etc. that are in the level.

well ok so I created an empty project with level and it builds and launches fine - no worries. then when i add the Top Down City off the marketplace and try to load one of the levels it locks. it’s moving but slowly - been 10 minutes already. looks like it’s all the materials … SkyOcclusion_1_17 …

is there anything I can do to speed it up ? why does it run so slowly on my mac ? i have 16 gb of ram …

ok. i’ve been reading up and some epic staff have specific said that the graphics card that i have does not work for unreal editorforums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?15097-Mac-Mini-or-New-Machine-to-Unreal-Engine)

looks like i need to upgrade …

thanks for the help,

FYI, for anyone else potentially having this problem in the future. I was low on hard drive space and so it would hang at encoding textures for hours and hours. Cleared up the hard drive space and voila, we’re good to go.