Emissive Material in VR

Hey everyone! I’m really struggeling to get a emissive material to work with the VR Template.
The material I use is a 3 Vector multiplied with a value X for intensity and that connects into the emissive input.

As far as I know, the forward renderer doesnt do emmisive in the same way - I think the only way to see it affect the surrounding area it is bake it in as “use emmisive as static” in the material… possibly - my memory isnt what it used to be (or use a small amount of bloom to fake it a bit, not ideal for VR).

This may be completely wrong, but I try and stay away from emmisives in VR for this very reason.

1 Like

Hey Animalgnis!

Thank you very much for already replying to my unfinished post. I missclicked and unfortunately I was not able to delete this post. But you already answered my question pretty good!

The thing is I’m pretty new to VR and like to challange me with things to learn stuff. So I wanted to do my own beatsaber clone. Everything is working pretty good but the thing I thought would be easy (the glow material) is not working.

I need glow for the light saber and for other things and really got no answer to my question on google and stuff. I already tried bloom.

If somebody has an Idea how I could create a vr glow material, that would be really great!

What platform are you developing for, and what effects are you looking for in the emissive material?

Assuming you are on PCVR with the forward renderer, if you are a just looking to make the material itself glow, the emissive input should still work. Turing on bloom in postprocessing should also work well to put a glow around the object, although there will be a performance hit.

1 Like

Hello @ddx87 and @AnimaIgnis

In the context of PCVR (Bloom in mobile VR is a different can of worms) :

I think the problem you’re seeing is that in the VR Template bloom is off by default.

The reasoning behind it being off by default might be because the fresnel lenses create a sort of natural bloom effect.

Try enabling Project Settings → Rendering → Bloom

Bloom Off

Bloom On (multiplied color by 100)

You might be asking “Well, what other settings are different in the VR template?”

In the Config folder of your project you will see DefaultEngine.ini this will show all the ‘nondefault’ settings that have been changed.

Cheers

4 Likes

@Astrotronic you are awesome. Just one click and I got the result I was looking for. Thank you very very much!!!

2 Likes

For my part…3hours lost and …lost my mind too lool. Thanks a lot Astrotronic. As you ddx87 i just needed this emissive light to complete my beatsaber clone

1 Like