Edward's Journey

Happy Holidays. Picked one of the more Christmassy areas in my game to share. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hey @jaremi76,

I’ve always had a personal gripe with top-down style games that they are typically dark and gory and you’ve completely thrown that bias out the window.

Your world is colorful and bright and somehow managed to display what I would define as a manifestation of an ethereal dream. The environment is simply stunning and I can’t wait to be able to try this out myself!

Keep sharing your passion and your insane talents with us here on the unreal forums. Sending lots of support and encouragement.

PS: Happy Holidays friend! :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this wonderful comment. It really means a lot to me to hear that. Thank you!

2 Likes

Latest screenshot. Added some new foliage types and added a new spline stone walkway.

3 Likes

Another new zone.

4 Likes

Greetings, @jaremi76, I’ve had the pleasure of perusing this thread, and your website and “Edward’s Journey” look fantastic! The whimsical environment and enemies are aesthetically pleasing! Thank you for your continued updates here in the Unreal Engine Forums, and I’m looking forward to the next one. Do you think you might be closing in on a demo of sorts for Edward’s Journey any time soon? :grin:

1 Like

Put together some short clips of the new area. Combat, animations, music and sound effects still need a lot of work. Threw some random mobs in the scene to fight, but they may change by final version. Also, the mini-map doesn’t work since the map is not complete yet.

4 Likes

Hey again @jaremi76,

Seeing your project is always a highlight of my day. Thank you so much for updating us here on the Unreal Engine Forums and letting me continue to obsess over your beautiful game. Can’t wait for the next post! :grinning:

2 Likes

Latest zone. Lots and lots of waterfalls.

4 Likes

Hello all,

Here are some of the latest screenshots from my game and the latest video. I also wanted to say that it will be on Kickstarter soon. Please support it if you can. I’d really appreciate it. I mostly need money in order to hire a composer to do an original soundtrack for the game and have more artwork done for load screens and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ0RAD6Ayao

3 Likes

Hello all!

Edward’s Journey is currently on Kickstarter. Please help in any way that you can so that I can reach my goal. Thank you! I’d really appreciate it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jlssoftworks/edwards-journey

2 Likes

Greetings @jaremi76 !

I continue to be in awe of Edward’s Journey! As a RPG fan, I can tell from the beautifully intricate details (visuals, physics, mechanics, dialog) that you’ve put tons of hours and your quintessential soul into this project!

Your diverse educational experience gives you the perfect mix of inspiration to draw from and bring your ideas from mind to reality. Your imagination continues to shine brighter and brighter with each update!

I wish you the very best of success with your new Kickstarter! You’re absolutely deserving of what you’re asking for and more!

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I just wish more thought that. It doesn’t look like the Kickstarter campaign is going to pan out though. I know I am not the best at the marketing side of the business. Sometimes I post on Facebook groups and get some really good responses and sometimes nothing at all. I never know what to think. Regardless, I will keep chugging along until it is completed and I am happy with it. I still really enjoy making it. It is a lot of fun. Just wish I didn’t have another full-time job and could devote more time to it.

Anyhow, thanks again, I really appreciate encouraging comments like yours.

2 Likes

Hi jaremi,

You’re most welcome! I’m sorry the Kickstarter isn’t going as planned. I would encourage you not to scrap the idea of fundraising. Just put a pin in it until later. Your Kickstarter offers are great and offer unique opportunities for investors to be an active part of your game!

Keep working at any improvements and continue developing (chugging along as you so eloquently put it :wink:). Consider perhaps creating a demo mode to feature on Steam or your website. Try some marketing research and networking with other indie devs to see how they were able to get their campaigns going. The sky is the limit! Edward’s Journey has the potential to be fully realized! Your project has already been Staff-Picked, and only the most impressive games or WIPs receive such praise. :raised_hands:t4: :medal_sports:

2 Likes

Just a screenshot from an area I started working on. The owl and shield might be slightly inspired by Clash of the Titans.

2 Likes

Hi @jaremi76 !

Welcome back!

Thank you for sharing your latest update with us! Everything in this area looks uniquely hand-painted. Are these your own textures? Is the shield an object with interactions? How did you decide on the theme for this area?

1 Like

Hey there,

I use substance painter to create the materials for the models. It comes with and you can add various textures to paint with. Some I do draw by hand in Photoshop, but for the most part I use the textures provided in Substance. I’ve updated this scene a bit as of this screenshot. Always trying to make things look a little bit better.

How did I decide the theme? Well, this one in particular, was inspired by the owl that I had made a while back. I always liked the owl on the original Clash of the Titans movie and wondered what the owl I made would look like gold, similar to that one. Then I thought, wouldn’t that look kinda cool in a golden tree. Then my brain was trying to figure out how I could use this in the game. So, I created a quest around the owl and the shield that is sorta related in a way to the movie. I made the shield look very similar to the shield in the movie but instead of using the eagle that was on it, I thought I use the silhouette of one of the birds in my game instead. There is also a sword that goes with it that I made later for the quest. Hope I’m not spoiling too much, but the owl will upgrade one of your weapons when you help him by turning it into to gold and improving its stats. There is a golden pot there now for the quest.

Hope that answered your questions. I hope to get a video on combat and crafting done at some point. Just can’t find enough time in the day.

As always, thanks for the interest, and i’m always glad to answer any questions.

2 Likes

Created a little fall/Halloween scene in the game so I could blow up some pumpkins with some AoE.

Short Fall Video

3 Likes

I LOVE THIS! These screenshots feature such a pleasing fall aesthetic, and the linked short video was absolutely adorable! Thank you for this update; I hope you’re having a fantastic Monday, and Happy Halloween. :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

Genuinely obsessed with this artstyle still. Especially how easily it adapts to different environment themes. Both a spooky Halloween zone and a stunning waterfall fitting in the same game beautifully is such a declaration to the artistic skill being used here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes