Editor hangs permanently or crashes when converting textures to Virtual Textures (4.26)

Whenever I try to convert textures to virtual textures, nothing works after a short time (especially while shaders are being compiled). The editor hangs permanently until it is closed. In the meantime, it loads a CPU core heavily and has a completely static memory usage (often in the range between 4 GB and 6 GB). Virtual Textures are fully activated.
What could cause this and how can I fix it?
Possibly helpful specs:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 460 2 GB
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • UE4 installed on Samsung 860 Pro (OS on other SSD)
  • used version: 4.26

Edit: Now the editor hangs from the beginning if the project contains Virtual Textures.

These are my VT settings:

Does no one have an answer?

I had the same problem with a project upgraded to 4.26. Creating a new project in 4.26 and then going back to my project fixed the problem. Looks like the upgrade or my install had a few glitches with 4.26.

If it doesn’t work for you, to disable VT and open your project again, (stuck at initializing shaders) go to “your project name folder/Config/Defaultengine.ini” search Virtual textures and set to False, you might need to set the others VT options to their default values too.

Edit: Default values from a new project (click to expand):

111a.png](filedata/fetch?id=1855286&d=1611315676)

Defaultengine.ini default settings:

r.DefaultFeature.AutoExposure=True
r.VirtualTextures=False
r.VirtualTexturedLightmaps=False
r.VT.EnableCompressCrunch=False
r.VT.EnableCompressZlib=False
r.VT.TileSize=64
r.vt.FeedbackFactor=16