Hello all. I have an issue with the editor freezing whenever I try to save a new material. I create a new material, and do something as simple as adding a LandscapeLayerBlend and connect it to the BaseColor of the material. If I try to save it at that point the progress bar with “Apply changes to original material and its use in the world” pops up, reaches 100% and everything locks up. Task manager shows no CPU usage for the editor at this point and I must end the process from there. I have let it sit for hours with no response. I have tried reinstalling the editor multiple times and have even tried different version with the same result.
This is in a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro and using Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition. All programs are installed on a SSD, and the editor is being run as admin.
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-core Processor
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 (drivers are up to date)
- 16 GB of Ram
Copy of DxDiag:
We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.
Thanks, but I just figured out the problem. The issue was Incredibuild interfering with shader compiling. After uninstalling Incredibuild, everything worked just fine.
Thank you so much for this suggestion! I already started suspecting some hardware error. In my case materials just suddenly stopped saving. Any change in any material (even in new project) would freeze at “Saving packages… 0%” and I would have to kill the Editor.
This happened on 4.25.3. Uninstalling Incredibuild fixed the issue.
Thank you for sharing your discovery i Can confirm that this bug is still active in 4.26.2 removing Incredibuild fixes the issue of unreal engine freezing in place and stop responding making you have too open task manager too quit the program
Repeating for good measure This is a successful fix
*** Version “4.26.2” Working still! ***
This is what worked for me: Uninstalling incredibuild. >>>>> Thanks, but I just figured out the problem. The issue was Incredibuild interfering with shader compiling. After uninstalling Incredibuild, everything worked just fine.