Editor freeze when i drag a mesh

Titan is titan after all, but a quadro gpu would do the job even better wouldn’t it?

I have a TITAN GTX, 16 gigs of ram, SSD Drive and a Skull Trail Dual CPU Motherboard with Core2 Extreme X9775s at 3.20GHz (2 of theses 8 cores…) Same issues. These are not “Game Ready Assets” so keep that in mind when trying to use them in a project. Would love to know if there is an asset pack out there, I am teaching a class and this version of UDK does not come with nearly the amount of stock assets as older versions. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PIXELVERSE
System Manufacturer INTEL_
System Model D5400XS_
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™2 Extreme CPU X9775 @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Core™2 Extreme CPU X9775 @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. XS54010J.86A.0821.2008.0122.1754, 1/22/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4

GeForce GTX TITAN

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 24.2 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB

I have a Titan X, 32GB of Ram, Several different SSDs supporting my system. Yet I click any of the trees in the editor and the UE4 Editor Freezes. Several Sub Proccesses are running all under 1% CPU and under 15MB Ram. The UE4 Editor itself is running around 10% CPU and 1GB Ram. Finally the GPU load is 25%, Memory Controller Load is 15% at max while the UE4 Editor is still frozen.

There is clearly an issue in the file or the editor and not in my system as I have plenty of resources available.

@ShinraiBFD

Can you please respond over on this post since there are multiple users there and it’s not a widespread issue with everyone. Any information you can contribute would be helpful. Thank you!

It would be nice if this could be released as a low spec version as well as the default high spec one so low end machines don’t explode trying to load the assets.

I followed the downsize textures approach which worked pretty well but a few materials had errors - not sure if that was caused by the downsizing or not since I cannot load the high spec version. There were a number of other errors when re-building the lighting that I’m still messing around with.

All in all though - it’s a great resource.

Re-importing the textures was also not without issues, since the importer complained about source files that were never exported - e.g. *.srt files which it was looking for on import nut didn’t create on export. Similarly, many textures it was looking for didn’t match the file names of those exported. Most confusing.

I find it amazing that it takes 10, 15 minutes for a pretty darn powerful machine to load in a darn tree.
Quad core i7, 3.4 ghz, 16 gigs of ram, SSD. UE 4.16.3.
I mean…WHAT is going on? This is just downright silly.

to take that long it should be a texture of a tree of 81928192 pixels so in bytes it means 8GB for one texture of a tree… sure it would takes some time :wink: you have to narrow down the texture to 10241024 or 2048*2048 unless you have a much more powerfull machine than yours :slight_smile: like a rendering farm clustered…

Yes, that’s really what is bringing this all to a screeching halt. Unreal just takes a while to process larger textures. Telling the editor to resize them to smaller sizes did the trick.