Editor crashes when opening project after duplicating engine content asset

Hey, everyone. I don’t know for sure why it’s crashing but I assume it’s due to me duplicating the DefaultTextMaterial engine asset. I was following a step-by-step guide on how to create a new font for the standard text render object, and in doing so I duplicated this engine asset and left it in the engine content folder.

Doing this did not cause me any issues at the time, I was able to fully use all of the editor functions, but when I went to open my project after closing it without issue, it now crashes every time on startup. The crash message I receive is:

Assertion failed: !RunningPlatformData || RunningPlatformData->DerivedDataKey == DerivedDataKey [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/TextureDerivedData.cpp] [Line: 1968]

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

I’ve tried removing my derived data cache, I’ve tried verifying my 4.27 install, I’ve even uninstalled and reinstalled the engine, but I keep receiving the same error and am completely unable to open my project. I would try to delete the few font and material files I created in my project folder but I know deleting items from the windows explorer can do even more damage to the project, so I’ve been hesitant to try.

I submitted a bug ticket but I have no idea how to proceed to try and solve this on my own. My current setup does not have enough storage space for me to clone my project either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I managed to find the space to install the editor debug symbols so here is the full crash code:

Assertion failed: !RunningPlatformData || RunningPlatformData->DerivedDataKey == DerivedDataKey [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/TextureDerivedData.cpp] [Line: 1968]

UE4Editor_Core!AssertFailedImplV() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\AssertionMacros.cpp:104]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::CheckVerifyFailedImpl() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\AssertionMacros.cpp:461]
UE4Editor_Engine!UTexture::FinishCachePlatformData() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\TextureDerivedData.cpp:1968]
UE4Editor_Engine!UTexture2D::PostLoad() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Texture2D.cpp:377]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ConditionalPostLoad() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\Obj.cpp:1092]
UE4Editor_Engine!UFont::PostLoad() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Font.cpp:68]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ConditionalPostLoad() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\Obj.cpp:1092]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!EndLoad() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp:1639]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!<lambda_fc6dac93f63b3d981a3bc8e7f817eeef>::operator()() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp:1268]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!LoadPackageInternal() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp:1301]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!LoadPackage() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp:1469]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!ResolveName() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp:791]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObjectInternal() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp:853]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObject() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\UObjectGlobals.cpp:928]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!FSoftObjectPath::TryLoad() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\SoftObjectPath.cpp:443]
UE4Editor_Engine!FSoftObjectPtr::LoadSynchronous() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\SoftObjectPtr.h:57]
UE4Editor_Engine!FPrimaryAssetTypeInfo::FillRuntimeData() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AssetManagerTypes.cpp:30]
UE4Editor_Engine!UAssetManager::ShouldScanPrimaryAssetType() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AssetManager.cpp:2976]
UE4Editor_Engine!UAssetManager::ScanPrimaryAssetTypesFromConfig() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AssetManager.cpp:2996]
UE4Editor_Engine!UAssetManager::StartInitialLoading() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AssetManager.cpp:3269]
UE4Editor_Engine!UEngine::InitializeObjectReferences() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\UnrealEngine.cpp:2866]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::InitializeObjectReferences() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorEngine.cpp:880]
UE4Editor_Engine!UEngine::Init() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\UnrealEngine.cpp:1615]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::InitEditor() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorEngine.cpp:630]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Init() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorEngine.cpp:978]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Init() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdEngine.cpp:80]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Init() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:4017]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!EditorInit() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdGlobals.cpp:94]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:154]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:137]
UE4Editor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:273]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:320]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\agent\_work\5\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

Looks like I solved the problem, and it was caused by something related to what I had assumed was the cause.

I duplicated the defaulttextmaterial asset to try and make a new text render material with a new font. During this process I had to import the font with some specific settings that were unusual to me. I followed this step by step guide:

I did the same thing in a blank project without issue, but I believe I somehow corrupted the font texture file in my original project when I was playing around with all of the font sheet texture settings to try and make it look clean. So whatever I did with that file specifically must have caused a problem with the engine startup routine.

I suspected this file was the problem, so reluctantly I removed it from my project folder using Windows Explorer, which I know can be dangerous but nothing else had worked. This allowed me to launch the editor and now it works just fine.

So I solved my issue, and if anyone comes across anything similar in the future I hope my solution can be helpful to them.