Editor crashes on loading map after migrating from 4.3 to 4.4

Hello. I would greatly appreciate your help on this crash, as without it is blocking me from migrating to 4.4.

I have a project in 4.3.1 which I’ve migrated to 4.4.0 with Save as Copy. It crashes on loading of my perisistent map, World_P.umap. If I delete the editor startup map from defaultengine.ini, I am able to load the project, but it crashes when loading the map. I also deleted the DDC, to no avail.

I’ve attached logs and dumps.

My project is based on First Person Blueprint and I have not modified the code.

Hi lackthereof,

Does the project load if you remove the map from your maps folder within the filepath \Unreal Projects\PROJECTNAME\content\maps\ ? Further, do you experience this crash when updating any other projects (for instance, a clean project with no additional content) from 4.3 to 4.4?

I’m having a hell of a time finding a file or folder like “Unreal ProjectsPROJECTNAMEcontentmaps” Can you be more specific please?

Hi,

It apparently deleted my backslashes. I will post a picture instead, to be more clear and prevent any other mixups. Replace First_Person_Test with your project name and you should be able to find the files.

13866-filepath.png

Thanks, .

If you’ll just be patient with me for a few more days, I’ll perform these tests for more info. I see 4.4 has been updated so I’ll test against that. I just have a little deadline here. Cheers!

Im having the same issue with the 4.4.1 update, can’t do pretty much anyhting with my project as simulating or opening a map causes the editor to crash, everything worked fine until i switched to 4.4.1…these updates are starting to become more a burden…

Hi ,

Can you elaborate on your specific crash? Does this only occur on one project or does it occur on a blank project with no additional content? If it is on one project, try removing your primary map from your maps folder and then running the editor, does it still crash? Finally can you post your crash logs, dxdiag, and callstack here so we can have a look? Thank you!

Hi ,

heres a link to the thread i ,

Some nice people from your team have already starting looking into this, but the link is there with anything that you might need.

Hi ,

Thank you for the information, I see that, as you said, has already started looking into it. To prevent the help from becoming convoluted I will leave your question in his hands. Are you still experiencing this crash, ?

Yes I am still experiencing this crash. I’ve updated to the latest editions, and again my 4.3.1 project crashes when i open a copy in 4.4.1.

I have also created a new project in 4.3.1 and it does successfully open in 4.4.1.

If there’s anything else I can send you to figure this out, please ask. I could hook you up with my SVN depot if you’d like.

Hi,

Have you tried taking the maps out as recommended earlier? If so and the crash still occurs, try taking your contents folder out instead. Given that it is limited to one project, it makes me think something has become corrupted. Also, can you still open the project in 4.3.1 or is it not opening there either?

Hi . Are you aware of anything that could be unique to my project or PC that could cause the project to become corrupted when converting?

with 4.4.1 we have had several users report blueprints that have corrupted and at least one user whose map became corrupted. This is why I would recommend trying to pull these different aspects of your project out to see if in either case the files became corrupted.

Hi,

We have not heard from you in quite some time. I am marking this thread as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this error, please comment with the information requested. Thank you.

To wrap this up, I’d like to mention that I removed the Maps folder and the project loads fine - the culprit is a corrupted map. I’ll see what I can copy+paste from 4.3 and just spend some time reconstructing my world I guess.

I may have spoken too soon as I have found that at least one of my blueprints crashes the program when I add it to my new level. So it may not be the map.

Does the blueprint give you any specific errors when you attempt to open it in the blueprint editor?

I can open the blueprint fine. I can compile it successfully. Nothing looks suspicious in the blueprint. But when I drag it into my world it crashes the editor. I’ve deleted everything in the construction script and event graph and that prevents the crash.

Can I see a screenshot of your blueprint? Perhaps I can see something that might be causing the problem, or at least find out if there are any known issues with a specific node.

I’ve rebuilt a brand new blueprint from scratch to eliminate the possibility of corruption. (In fact I’ve built the functionality into the GameMode blueprint, which is probably where it should be). The crash still occurs, so I’ve been unhooking everything and adding it back one piece at a time. I have isolated the crash. In fact, this is so specific that I bet you could repro this yourself.

To make what you see, I made a generic wildcard Select, then hooked up arrays of LinearColor and an Int for the selection. Perhaps this crashes for you too?