Editor crash when using Landscape Visibility tool

Hello, I’m trying to use the Visibility tool to create holes in the terrain, however it hangs and crashes the editor as soon as I click on the landscape with the Visibility brush active. I’ve tried it in a new scene on flat landscape and it seems to be fine, however I can’t think of anything that could break it in my scene, it’s just a landscape that I have imported over from World Machine.

After further testing, it does seem to work occasionally on some parts of the landscape, however as soon as I try to do it in a specific area where I want the hole to be, which is a little more slope-y, it crashes.

Here is the crash report:

MachineId:2109237C4AAD17A671B6548753F35FB0
EpicAccountId:2d6adc34ffc246e69a5024ac8e60986a

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_Landscape!FLandscapeEditDataInterface::SetAlphaData() + 2309 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\landscape\private\landscapeeditinterface.cpp:2243]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!FAlphamapAccessor<0,0>::SetData() + 227 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\landscapeeditor\private\landscapeedmodetools.h:950]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!FLandscapeToolStrokeVisibility::Apply() + 585 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\landscapeeditor\private\landscapeedmodecomponenttools.cpp:265]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!FLandscapeToolBase<FLandscapeToolStrokeVisibility>::BeginTool() + 424 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\landscapeeditor\private\landscapeedmodetools.h:1295]
UE4Editor_LandscapeEditor!FEdModeLandscape::InputKey() + 945 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\landscapeeditor\private\landscapeedmode.cpp:1200]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorModeTools::InputKey() + 265 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editormodemanager.cpp:658]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorViewportClient::InputKey() + 127 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorviewportclient.cpp:1870]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FLevelEditorViewportClient::InputKey() + 803 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\leveleditorviewport.cpp:2367]
UE4Editor_Engine!FSceneViewport::OnMouseButtonDown() + 425 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\slate\sceneviewport.cpp:371]
UE4Editor_Slate!SViewport::OnMouseButtonDown() + 187 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\widgets\sviewport.cpp:150]
UE4Editor_Slate!<lambda_2944fcd867c13fce09ac1f6fe9cbe583>::operator()() + 198 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:3818]
UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FBubblePolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_2944fcd867c13fce09ac1f6fe9cbe583> >() + 246 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:202]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonDownEvent() + 1147 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:3822]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseDown() + 315 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:3732]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() + 3134 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1311]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() + 318 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1669]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() + 4016 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:742]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() + 114 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:604]
user32 + 105425 bytes
user32 + 104666 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() + 118 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:774]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() + 3737 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2233]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() + 1404 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() + 249 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

Thanks

Hi,

Can you show me your crash logs? These can be found at \Unreal Projects\PROJECTNAME\saved\logs. Additionally, how large is the landscape you are using? Is it tiled or in a sublevel?

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply! The landscape is 1135x1135 resolution, and it is indeed in a sublevel. Here’s the log: link text

Cheers

When you are painting the holes in the landscape, do you have the sublevel set as the current level or are you painting in the persistent level? Additionally, are you using the World Browser or simply loading through the levels window?

Yes I have the landscape sublevel set as the current level when painting the hole. At the moment we’re just using the levels window, with the streaming method set to Always Loaded

Hi,

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to reproduce this on my end, which preview version are you currently using?

We are using the latest preview of 4.7 (Preview 8). Would it be of any use if I zipped and uploaded the whole project for you? (few hundred mb in size)

I’d be happy to take a look at the project if you posted it, to see if I could find out what is occurring.

Thanks ! Here it is: https://www…com/s/nso39rxu30oatwx/ProjectCourage.?dl=0

Hi,

I was able to reproduce this on my end and have entered a bug report, UE-10288 to be assessed by the development staff.

Hi

I looked at your level. It has content referring to a Landscape layer object that doesn’t exist anymore or was never saved, but there’s data in the landscape for it. That’s causing the crash. We can add some code to automatically fix up this case, but it won’t be until 4.7.1 as 4.7 is already in final testing.

I see you’re using source code, so we’ll let you know the fix as soon as it’s checked in.

Hi ,

I see, yes that would be great, thank you!

Ed