EditAnywhere is not detected by Intellisense

Hi everyone,

I am using visual studio 217 15.8.7 with Unreal Editor 4.20.3.

My problem is when i write UPROPERTY in visual studio it detects and autocompletes it. But when it comes to givint parameters to this method VS doesn’t help me.

You can also see that even if I write it correctly it doesn’t look in the right color. I saw in tutorials it should look in different color. But I can compile and run my code it works fine. I think something is missing with my IDE setup.

I don’t know what’s wrong. Do I need to install some addon or something?

256339-unrealsoru.png

Thank you.

That those macro are “hacks” going beyond standard of C++, by standard in macro you type in anything and compiler simply paste thing in right point as macro was programmed to and UPROPERTY options don’t physically exist in UE4 APIs so Intellisense can not see it. Sometimes you may find flags showing up in suggestion which may hint you a little that this option exists, but thats it.

Way those macros work is that they are empty dummy macro and they are declared in C++ (that why it autocomplete) to make compiler bypass it and tool that reads those macros is UnrealHeaderTool (UHT) which runs before compiler and generates extra header files (once that you include *.generated.h) and extra cpp file which registers those class elements to reflection system based on those macro locations.

UE4 uses some other hackish things that confuses IntelliSense thats why it not really reliable specially in error detection, lot of people recommend to use Visual Assist instead as it supposedly better work with UE4 but i not using it myself so im not sure on what degree it is

1 Like

For me it’s also doesn’t work at all. The property not appearing in the blueprint. What may be the isssue?