Dynamic (movable/stationary) light leaking through thin walls/doors

Hey all,

I’m working on a project with a mostly dynamic lighting setup (most lights need to be able to turn on/off). I’m having lots of problems with leaks, though - lights simply extend well past solid surfaces.

Screenshot is attached. It’s a door (movable) in a wall (static). All lights are off except for one on the other side of said wall. Door is 5cm thick, walls are 20cm thick (I only made them that thick because of light leaks when they were thinner). The light under the door is intentional - there’s a gap between the bottom of the door and the ground. But the light leaking from the sides and top (and you can see reflection on the knob) are unwanted. There are no gaps there, as far as I can tell.

Shadow bias is the lowest I can get without causing banding. Shadow resolution is high enough that increasing it further has no visible effect. I’d prefer to not have to increase the thickness of the doors, or they’ll look cartoonishly fat when open.

Is there a way to prevent this, perhaps by further increasing shadow map resolution (r.Shadow.MaxResolution is 2048)? Lighting is mechanically important to the game (rather than just cosmetically), so it’d be worth some performance budget to fix this issue.

Thanks!