Dragon Age Inquisition in Unreal Engine 5: The Storm Coast [UE5]

The Storm Coast! It wasn’t the most fun level to play through, but it did have an amazing atmosphere and texture – the rain, the rolling fog, the ocean crashing into basalt rocks…

This is for my ‘Thedas Magic Mystery World Tour’ where I’m re-creating … spiritual re-imaginings in the form of little cinematics from the game Dragon Age: Inquisition (originally Frostbite 3) in Unreal Engine 5! Mostly because it’s a more fun way of learning UE5 and getting the hang of the new features like Lumen and Nanite.

Earlier parts of this series are in the previous thread: Dragon Age Inquisition in Unreal Engine 5 - A Fanmade Cinematic Demo Series

This was a more technically difficult environment to build, mostly because it had so much heavy FX. As usual, this used a combination of megascans assets, free photogrammetry assets and custom modelled assets in Blender. Nanite and Lumen were used for the fully dynamic scene, with plenty of Niagara particle systems for the atmospheric effects. Volumetric clouds were also used in lieu of a traditional skybox.

(Also side note, anyone having problems with CPU Nanite mesh collisions? As of 5.0.3 it seems to be a bit hit-or-miss for me…)

Again, this serves a technical demo of sorts – to try out the new features of Unreal Engine 5 (mostly Nanite, Lumen and Temporal Super Resolution) and give people a taste of some varied environments that might be possible in next-generation games using UE5.

5 Likes

Forgot to link Artstation for more stills: ArtStation - Dragon Age Inquisition in Unreal Engine 5: The Storm Coast [UE5]

1 Like

This felt like a cinematic movie for me. The water and lighting were especially beautiful. Around 1:16 is easily one of the most breathtaking moments to me. There’s something so fantasy/dreamy about the way the boat is crashed on the shore, the misty atmosphere, and the sculpture up on the rock.

Great job yet again, friend! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@PresumptivePanda

Thank you so much!