Doubts about the best performance hardware setup

Hello everyone, I was looking for the recommended settings to run UE4 and I found this Hardware and Software Specifications | Unreal Engine Documentation. In the end It is said that they use PCs with Xeon processor at Epic but wouldn´t the Xeon architecture be better for servers? I mean if it was those with 26 cores I could understand that It is faster for rendering but why get a 6 core Xeon if you can get a better performance for half the price with the i7?

Yeah. The Xeon has more cores so depends on your needs. If you were running 3-4 applications on 4 cores you would notice performance issues. Say your 3d modelling texturing in substance, and running ue4 at the same time. Re-Compiling and lighting etc. I have an I7 and shader compiling can take up 100% for a much longer time than the xeon I have at work.

That page hasn’t been updated since 2014 or 2015. But yes, you can get more bang for your buck with a consumer CPU with higher core counts. 6 and 8 core consumer CPUs weren’t as common back then.

i have worked on i7 before i got i9. workflow will be bit slow than i9 on i7. the major difference u get on both system is build time. the more core u have more faster build time,

Hey guys thanks for the responses! I kept researching and found out that their Xeon( E5-26xx ) supports double processor, which mean you can install another processor in the same motherboard later on, what must be really awesome! So I guess the Xeon architecture was chosen so its better for upgrading without needing to change the whole motherboard right, that makes a lot of sense to me now, and I just added the Xeon to my dream wish list too :D​​​​​​​