Does VR Preview work with the Oculus Quest using the link cable?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone here in the beta for the Oculus Quest Link and can tell me if VR Preview works?

I want to port our project to Oculus and I want to confirm that if by getting a Quest, I can tackle the Quest and the Rift.

Thank you

Hey,

I just actually tested this myself during the past weekend and I can confirm that it does work.

However, one thing I noticed straight away is that if you put down your Quest (which isn’t really comfortable to keep on your head while developing) the Quest goes into sleep mode then if you put it on again it will have to re-recognise the room and sometimes it will fail and tell you the tracking is lost. The only way to recover then it’s literally restarting the Quest which isn’t ideal. Now I think that as long as you don’t allow it to go into sleep mode then it should be fine, so covering the sensor on the headset with some tape should fix that. Didn’t test it though.

I can’t really tell you if that would be a solution as clearly it works but it’s in beta so who knows what kind of behaviour you’ll see that maybe doesn’t match what will happen on a Rift/Rift S.

I will try covering the sensor and report back :wink:

You can also just change the sleep timer from 15 secs to 15 mins in the mobile app.

I have been trying to get my oculus quest with the link cable to enable VR preview but have had no luck so far, what did you do in order for the VR preview to work?

kind regards

Hey SkeetonYu, that makes perfectly sense and obviously works :slight_smile: don’t know why I didn’t think about it sooner.

**CaptParis000 **I actually haven’t done anything special to get it to work with VR preview. Basically, I open the Oculus Desktop Application, then I connect the Quest and I get prompted about using Oculus link, I enable it and make sure that it’s running in the Quest. At this point, if you wear the Quest you should see the Oculus Home as if you were using the Oculus Rift. Finally, I open the Unreal project I want to work on and it works.

One thing though is that SteamVR has to be closed and no other headset should be connected, I also work with the Vive on other projects and SteamVR gets launched if opening a project at which point you can’t use the Oculus Quest in Unreal. Hopefully, it helps, let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Yes @DownToCode you are right, you are able to use VR preview with a good USB3 cable attach whilst running the Oculus desktop app.
[Using VRidge and Rifcat you can even potentially use it wirelessly, but you’d need a 5GB router for that! ]

In terms of stopping the notification of the lost tracking, you can prevent this by turning off Guardian mode in the headset, if the Quest is set in developer mode!
After that, you can turn of head tracking in the headset’s settings. This was a godsend as I’m currently working on a project where the headset’s sensors will be covered . .
~(Thanks to a long-awaited update that came last month (November) that allowed people to watch stuff in bed with lights off lol!)

Yeah @CaptParis000 make sure in the headset you accept the connection to the PC and accept Link (beta) and that your USB ports and wire is USB 3 , these things to ages for me. :stuck_out_tongue: