Does Apple recent changes to required Xcode version mean Unreal Engine 4 projects are not possible anymore?

Hi there,
Would appreciate any advice on this.
We are very close to release in 4.27 and have only just found that our Xcode version is going to be out of date.
Does anyone know about compatibility between Xcode 14.1 and Unreal Engine 4.27.
If these are not compatible then we will need to update to Unreal Engine 5?

1 Like

Hey!

If you are going to launch your game on the App Store, you will need to build on 14.1 using the 16.1 SDK. This means that if you are using an older version of Unreal Engine which doesn’t support the 16.1 SDK or Xcode 14.1, you will either need to modify the source code of the engine to accommodate for these is. Alternatively you can upgrade your project from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5.

I understand that this is an inconvenience, and I fully understand the frustration. I have had to do the same for Android on the Google Play Store.

I wish you the best of luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you, that makes complete sense. Really hoping that I do not have to change Engine version so may have to modify the source code of the engine if it is straight forward enough.

1 Like

Have you succeeded to modify the source code? I had no problem packaging my project with xcode 13.0 and ue 4.27, but I’m going nuts while I’m trying to package it via xcode 14.1

Fixed it by running bitcode_strip on every ios framework that had bitcode.

We can’t ship anything with AR (which needs to be 4.27 as 5 is broken).

Have you managed to find a workaround that will work with TestFlight?

Can you try use ue 4.27 plus, and write here about result?
i see this https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/f5aafb27e72d7bedfc0f6bac61ba5084900592e6
but I do not know if this will work.

The UE 4.27+ branch supports Xcode14.1 and is available from github here: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/tree/4.27-plus
But you will need to build the engine yourself.

You may also need to strip embedded code from some of the frameworks. That can be done with:
xcrun bitcode_strip -r -o

You’ll also need to set “bShipForBitcode” to “false” in Config/BaseEngine.ini.

Cheers,
Adam

2 Likes

Hey!

I am trying to deliver my UE5.1 project to TestFlight, but I keep getting this same warning and I don’t know how to fix it, because I am kind of new to all of this “SDK” stuff. How do I build with SDK version 16.1?

Hi,

All you should need to do is use UE5.1.1 and Xcode14.1 or later to compile the app with.

Cheers,
Adam

Hi, i did tried modifications 4.27, and got error about entitlement. Then i build 4.27-plus. Now at this stage, there is an endless waiting. What to do? xcode 14.3

Update:
It was a problem with Ventura OS and low file transfer speed. I was able to fix the problem by disabling tso the speed became normal.

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.tso=0

This post helped:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/how-do-i-disable-lro-and-tso-on-mac-osx/td-p/1420789

1 Like

I tried using this, and yes it works; there are some small problems with the project that we did not forecast though like effects, etc. We used Xcode 14.1 as well; for plugins if you have any, placing them in the marketplace folder in the source version of unreal, then running ./GenerateProjectFiles.sh (I think that’s what it’s called) before building the engine will take care of plugins pretty easily. We also removed the intermediate and binary directories for each plugin.

2 Likes