DK2 and 1.3 -- insane increase in FPS with ATW

Dev here who struggled for months to attain 75fps on my experience with a DK2. I have a complex outdoor scene. I had to disable all dynamic lighting and shadows, replace all my desktop/heroes Speedtree with mobile versions and 1001 other things optimized. Enabling 75fps lock was a judder disaster. After all this I barely attained a stable 70-75 fps with the smooth frame rate option and kept and eye on the size of my textures. UE 4.10.4

Specs: i7 4930, 32GB. stock 980, Win 10 64.

While I’m waiting for my Rift, I wanted to tried the Oculus Store. I installed the latest NVIDIA driver (364.72) and Oculus runtime 1.3.

After installing the github 4.10.4 Oculus runtime 1.3 branch and recompiled 2 plugins (Substance and getnamo’s Leap) and migrated my game in an empty BP project.

Then I just hit VR Preview and experienced an immense WTF**&& moment. Everything was buttery smooth.

I pushed my luck and progressively cranked my maps. Enabled dynamic lighting and shadows. Solid 75 fps. Replaced the nearby trees (approx 10) by heroes versions (Speedtree). Solid 75 fps. wtf?? Enable 75fps frame lock? Yes.

I hated lazy devs but by the power of ATW I just been able to upgrade my experience to its dream settings.

I’ll just wait for my rift/Vive to see if it’s ok with 90 fps but I have great hope. Before, I had the impression of working with glass maps (little changes hitted fps) but now I’m not able to f** break my game anymore!!!

Downside: As it is a github build, it take longer to build lighting and compile, it only works with runtime 1.3 and you have to start it while Oculus store open (with unknown progs checked).

If you target the Rift/Vive or even DK2s with 1.3, just install this version now. Or pretty sure it will be integrated in the 4.11 stable version.

Ciao!

Nice! This was the result I was really hoping for with this update.

I recently moved my DK2 to another computer that was running only a GTX 660Ti and it’s handling the new games like a champ with the new 1.3 SDK! Which is insane considering I used to be able to run pretty much nothing on that card.

Can’t wait to try it out on my own project. Anyone know when it’s being integrated to 4.10 or 4.11?

Wow. So excited. Hoping 4.11 has full integration… any word on that?

4.11 has just been released now. Unfortunately without SDK 1.3.0 :frowning:

There’ll be a hotfix soon, according to the release notes:
*Oculus Rift 1.3.0 SDK is coming soon in Unreal Engine 4.11.1 hotfix. (Oculus Rift SDK 0.8.0 beta in Unreal Engine 4.11.0) *

Oh MAN I am excited!!! For the past 2 years I have been working super hard to fit everything within the 75fps performance band and now I can finally crank up the super sampling up! I can’t wait to re-build all my old projects in the new 4.11 once ATW get’s implemented!

So glad you tried this. I am so happy!

ATW catches dropped frames, but the new SDK also has adaptive queue-ahead so it better utilizes your CPU-GPU parallelization