DistanceToNearestSurface/material node calculations have different outputs on different machines, HELP!

I have a material I’m using on a landscape, and I want to use DistanceToNearestSurface to increase the height of the landscape material when it’s close to other meshes in the scene. I’m having some trouble with blending the DistanceToNearestSurface into nice spread out gradients, following this tutorial Building advanced effects in Niagara | Unreal Engine, and I should be able to just subtract and then divide it to smooth. It works checking the output in base colour, but using it for height makes it completely flat but the raw DistanceToNearestSurface input works.
I asked my professor for help, and it looks like it’s just not an issue for him on his machine, (his base colour and height are smoothly blended) even using the same engine version. He sent his working version to me, but it looks completely different. Could it be a plugin issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here’s a comparison of one of the differences, mine is very jagged when it should be smooth

I think it’s fixed, by turning off generate distance fields on the landscape actor.