Distance Field Shadows not working with directional lights

I’m having this problem on my Nvidia GTX 960. Its not a Radeon problem. It seems I’ve had this problem for the last version too.

Similar problem in 4.8 - 4.9.1.

Hello All,

Thank you all for reporting the similar issues. However, If you would like to open your own threads and report them there, then it will be easier to track. This thread is already becoming lengthy and other users experiencing this issue will need to scroll down quite far to see that I have already reported this issue and it is being looked into.

Please look forward to updates on this issues progress.

Again this issue has already been reported. If you are experiencing a similar issue than please report it separately on your specific issue.

Thank you,

I had the same issue, downloading the chipset drivers solved it,
Now keep in mind, AMD autodetect driver utility does NOT install the chipset drivers, you need to go to the site and select your gpu version and under optional downloads section, download the chipset drivers(around 40mb).
Hope this solves your problems too.

Thanks for sharing this information, but unfortunately it didn’t change anything on my end. I’m using a Radeon R9 270X and even after manually installing the latest chipset drivers, I still don’t get distance field shadows on directional lights. Spot lights and point lights are working fine.

Can you try this:
Change light type to stationary and change the source angle on the light by using the slider(not typing in the number), do the distance field shadows appear after doing that?
Or) Right click somewhere in the viewport,(bring up the menu that says place actor and stuff), realtime should stop after the right click, do the shadows appear while the menu is there?

Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately neither of your suggestions fixed the problem. I tried it in a new project as well to make sure it’s not caused by something in my current project, but that didn’t work either. I’ll try testing it on a different PC to make sure it’s actually a problem with the GPU and not a mistake on my part.

Yeah I got it working but not completely, distance field shadows are working but if I set the game to fullscreen mode 0, it drops fps from 90 to 30 while moving, when I turn distance f. shadows off it doesn’t drop fps. On windowed mode they work fine, I upgraded project to 4.10, I’ll also upgrade to windows 10, if those don’t work I got nvidia card I’ll try with that.

Hi guess, I guess my response is a little late and I am not sure if you guys are still there, I had the same problem today, then I figured it out. You have to go to Setting— scalability settings, change it to epic and it solves the problem. Hopefully it helps.

That did not help at all… Also In my case update to 4.11 helped thou not all objects are casting ray traced shadows.